Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4EAT
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RalliTEK 52mm Oil Pressure Gauge

It's just a small oil pressure gauge, I like to know what my oil pressure is when I'm driving...Has anyone ever used it? Or would it be even worth it?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
52 Posts
I also like knowing what my oil pressure is while driving. The stock idiot light illuminates at zero oil pressure. IMHO while driving being notified the pressure is at zero is a we bit late. I'd like to find a cheap pod for my center sandwich warmer pocket to house oil and boost pressure.

Summit Racing has a nice selection of 52mm gauges also.
Link

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
^ For Gen4 OB's the oil pressure warning light comes on when the oil pressure is low, not when there is zero oil pressure. If it truly doesn't come on until there is zero pressure for earlier OB's, I can understand your frustration.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
I've read the pressure setting is under 5psi.

maybe it varies by year/model - not sure.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
The issue is not necessarily addressed by adding a gauge. It is easy for many folks to never, ever glance at a gauge, and wouldn't know what it meant if they did.

If you want your car to be "Wife proof", you can get an oil pressure idiot light pressure switch for any pressure level you might want. Then, hook it to a relay that blows the horn. Even the clueless would have to notice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
^ For Gen4 OB's the oil pressure warning light comes on when the oil pressure is low, not when there is zero oil pressure. If it truly doesn't come on until there is zero pressure for earlier OB's, I can understand your frustration.
Most of the time it comes on when the pressure is under 10psi. That may as well be zero if you are driving an automatic on someplace like the highway.

I've read the pressure setting is under 5psi.

maybe it varies by year/model - not sure.
It is most likely the same for all models. 5psi is pretty low.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The issue is not necessarily addressed by adding a gauge. It is easy for many folks to never, ever glance at a gauge, and wouldn't know what it meant if they did.

If you want your car to be "Wife proof", you can get an oil pressure idiot light pressure switch for any pressure level you might want. Then, hook it to a relay that blows the horn. Even the clueless would have to notice.
True but my wife has her own car. The gauge would be for me. I put one in my last car and it saved me once.

I agree most people would not look at it but this is a car board and most of us are a bit more observant when it comes to our cars than the rest of the masses.

BTW: I found a bit better priced option. eGuages.com. They have a comparable 52mm gauge that includes the sender. Link It has a smaller sweep than the RalliTEK but VDO has an amazing reputation for making quality gauges.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
Most of the time it comes on when the pressure is under 10psi. That may as well be zero if you are driving an automatic on someplace like the highway.

It is most likely the same for all models. 5psi is pretty low.
if the light is designed to be off with as little as 3-4 psi, and at 2500-3000 rpm normal pressure would be - say - 30psi or so, when the light comes on at freeway speeds, you're getting 1/10 the oil pressure you 'should' have. Maybe even zero psi.

potential for a bad day right there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if the light is designed to be off with as little as 3-4 psi, and at 2500-3000 rpm normal pressure would be - say - 30psi or so, when the light comes on at freeway speeds, you're getting 1/10 the oil pressure you 'should' have. Maybe even zero psi.

potential for a bad day right there.
Yes indeedy. Exactly why I would like to run an aftermarket gauge.

FWIW I found a place that makes a plate that fits into the center sandwich warmer. Here it's $40 which isn't too bad.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
I'll never understand why manufacturers don't put full instrumentation in every vehicle, especially not putting in an important one like oil pressure. Do ANY vehicles still have full instrumentation? None that I know of. It annoys me that every new Subaru I've driven ('09 Forester and 10+ Outback) they don't even have a temperature gauge, just a blue dummy light, let alone an oil pressure gauge. My Grand Prix doesn't have an oil pressure gauge either, and I think I could have avoided a sudden breakdown and bad engine on the side of the road had I had one installed. First mod it is getting in the spring is a set of pillar gauges (already have the pod). Oil pressure, volts and boost pressure.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
How do you like to pod visibility wise?
Pillar pods? Well, let's just say I'm not a fan of having to put them in. I've driven a few friends cars with them (Grand Prix GTP and Regal GS), and I don't really like them because I feel like they cut down on visibility a bit. But they both said you just get used to it after a while, and I guess that is true with everything. Plus on a modded supercharged 3800, oil pressure is a fairly necessary item to have. Plus the stock boost gauge in these cars is a little digital bar graph... its a joke.

They do look pretty sweet at night though, all lit up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pillar pods? Well, let's just say I'm not a fan of having to put them in. I've driven a few friends cars with them (Grand Prix GTP and Regal GS), and I don't really like them because I feel like they cut down on visibility a bit. But they both said you just get used to it after a while, and I guess that is true with everything. Plus on a modded supercharged 3800, oil pressure is a fairly necessary item to have. Plus the stock boost gauge in these cars is a little digital bar graph... its a joke.

They do look pretty sweet at night though, all lit up.
My bad. I thought you said you had the pod for the center cubby. I was wondering what you though of that.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My bad. I thought you said you had the pod for the center cubby. I was wondering what you though of that.
No, I don't think they make one for the 00-04s. If they do, I'd gladly buy one. I would love to add an oil pressure gauge to my Outback. I'd especially love to see what pressure it is running at on a cold start when it makes all the horrible 2.5 liter noises.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No, I don't think they make one for the 00-04s. If they do, I'd gladly buy one. I would love to add an oil pressure gauge to my Outback. I'd especially love to see what pressure it is running at on a cold start when it makes all the horrible 2.5 liter noises.
Got it. Cold start oil pressure is usually higher than after it is warmed up. Fluid dynamics or some **** I know nothing about. From my experience though I can tell you my 98 2.0l Sentra would average 60-90psi while cold and settle down to around 15-80psi when warmed up and driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts