Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 legacy outback, Yakima roof rack for the kayaks, Curt class 2 hitch with Kuat NV bike rack. ready for anytying! 1964 Cutlass 442
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like it should be an easy swap, I just ordered a '22 Limited XT & thought that would make a practical add.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,526 Posts
Following.

Reactions: Cutlass64

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
It looks like the wilderness rear gate LED panel has its own manual switch (can someone confirm?) and while it may have an automatic setting that might work by tying it in to the overhead cargo light, if there is a constant 12v source in the tailgate itself, then that could be used to at least give a manual control light back there, which would be just fine, and you don't need to fish wires out of the hatch through the rubber conduit into the headliner.

If you wanted automatic operation you could add a mercury switch in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if one wanted to add this to their xt. should we be worried to run the wiring to the rear cargo lamp due to all the "rumored" issues with the led replacements causing issues with the canbus. I would think if we keep them off and only use them when we need it would be ok. but there are mixed opinions on the subject. just curious if anyone has done this yet.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
Considering it's from the Wilderness it should be canbus safe but unless someone does it and reports back that's just speculation on my part.

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
213 Posts
From experience, I would not suggest acquiring this light to install. The output is pretty sad. As a Wilderness owner, I'm even considering replacing it with something else. Over the weekend, I disassembled it to see how it was made and the LED diodes are soldered right on to the board, making the upgrade difficult. I'm considering wiring a Flex Light LED strip from Diode Dynamics and wiring it to either the cargo light or the hatch light.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,526 Posts
I picked up two Ford transit led cargo lights. They were 9 dollars for two, are so bright that I may remove one and just have one in the middle. Tapped a wire off the trunk dome light to power these. No canbus error with these or the cheap led I put in the trunk
View attachment 516726
Thanks for the idea. Could put in lower lumen bulbs. Part number?

·
Registered
10 Posts
looks to be about 50 on ebay. two models to choose from depending on number of leds wanted. there is a 9 and a 3 led unit. Im still trying to wrap my head around the canbus issue. some people said it works with no issues and some have issues. I might just add my own circuit to the 12v outlet in back and run something custom.
thanks for the ideas...

·
Registered
2020 Outback -Onyx XT -Magnetite grey
129 Posts
Wow, for the $90 they want for it then the $140 for a harness, I'll pass. I can make my own for about $20 that will be a far cry better than the two LEDs they have on the plate.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
278 Posts
Has anyone tried the rear gate light from Subispeed on an outback? They say it's compatible with the 2019+ Foresters, but it seems like panel could be shared with the Outback.
I expect the panel fits (maybe someone with a Forester too can tell me if that is right or wrong). I wonder if the wiring adapter works though since the Outback has the rear light in the roof instead of on the side panel. It might be the same connector, just not sure given the difference.

Edit... Just noticed the video is of the previous generation light not the latest Forester. Can anyone confirm if the 2019+ Forester has the same rear dome light?

·
Registered
2022 OBW, 2008 OBS
44 Posts
It looks like it should be an easy swap, I just ordered a '22 Limited XT & thought that would make a practical add.
It’s not worth it. Just add something from the aftermarket.

I am likely removing mine and replacing it with a red/white LED of some sort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts