Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my search for a new car between the CX-9 and Outback. The CX-9 seems to have more options and is a lot bigger, but with the prices I am getting it seems that a CX-9 touring would be even less than an outback limited. Has anyone compared them or switch to the outback from the CX-9.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Couple of friends have them - and the Subaru dealer uses one as their customer drop off and pick up vehicle.

Go ride in one after you spend a day riding in the Subaru. You'll think that Mazda forgot to put suspension and sound insulation in the CX. Having ridden in one for over an hour recently I honestly don't know how anyone could drive any distance in one. I thought the X3's rode stiff. They did but at least they had comfy seats and sound insulation - both of which the CX Lacks.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
compare a cx9 and tribeca. the outback isn't really in the same class. however the tribeca is going away, if you need more than 5 seats and good gas mileage, id suggest a honda pilot or nissan pathfinder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually liked the CX-9s seats and thought it was quite at least compared to my current car. I dont need more than 5 seats although it does come in handy sometimes. I think the outback fits what I am looking for, but being that the Mazda which seems a little more high end is going to end up costing me less for a nicer car Im not sure which one I'd rather get.

·
Registered
184 Posts
curious to what prices your getting? I cant see how the cx9 is less?
You can probably get an Outback limited for $26-27k.
And if i wanted a suv with less than 20 mpg, I would get a Grand Cherokee for $28k

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
CX-9 cost way more. It gets really crappy gas mileage on trips as in around 20 at highway speeds. Not nearly as much power as I wanted nor is the 2.5L but other than that is was OK not great just OK. Is it as good as the OB or better? Not a chance and I am someone that drove one...

·
Registered
2012, Outback, 3.6R
134 Posts
My sister in law got a cx9 right around the time I got my ob. The price was pretty comparable (she got a similar trim level) and it has more seating with the third row. That said, the OB has more foot room in the back seat, about the same overall storage with all the seats down and gets better mileage (even with the 3.6). It looks like a great car but the OB was a better fit for me.

Test drive both and judge the fit and finish and handling for yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts