Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996,2004 Outback,2003 Legacy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a beck and arnley transmission fluid strainer. Listed on eBay for my 2004 outback. It also comes with a pan gasket. Sorry I would post a picture but can't seem to figure out how to.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
869 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry,no I already have the spin on external filter. This is a strainer located inside the tranny pan. I changed this on my Dodge Durango and it made a huge improvement.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unless the strainer got damaged somehow, I have never heard of anyone replacing it. At the most it is just sprayed clean and reinstalled.

O.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it just started slipping a little but the main issue is that when I slow down for a turn it wants to buck when it shifts from OD down to fourth or third gear. So I'm going to change the filter and fluid and I thought while I'm at it I might as well change the strainer also. Idk maybe overkill but it can't hurt. Seems like it gets stuck in overdrive sometimes. I'm hoping a fluid change will cure this.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I would expect the fluid change to correct most or all of that.

Make sure you use Subaru HP fluid. These cars are picky about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well from what I understand the 4eat granny's use DexIII and the 5eat uses the HP. This is very confusing but I'm thinking Mobile 1 is a good bet for either?

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
The 2004 4EAT can use a Dexron III-type fluid. The HP fluid is backward compatible, and can be used in all 4 and 5 speed automatics, but it's somewhat more expensive. (5-speeds require HP. There's no confirmed equivalent available in North America that I'm aware of.)

I'd probably not want to mix fluids, so if the Dexron III is in there, and given that draining the pan only removes a part of the fluid, perhaps stay with it.

Many threads here report improvement in transmission operation after a multi-fluid change, with or without the spin-on filter being changed. (See the "Changing . . ." linked thread above.)

There's really no need to remove the pan and change the pump pick-up screen unless it's suspected to be blocked for some reason.

Start by draining the pan and check the fluid that comes out for any distinct pieces. Also, check inside the drain hole for chunks on the bottom of the pan. If there's nothing, then I wouldn't worry about the screen.

The spin-on filter is also somewhat optional, but it's relatively easy. Use a genuine Subaru AT filter. As far as I know, no other aftermarket spin-on is built the same. (See: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ission-filter-different.html?highlight=filter)

If the ATF hasn't been changed in a long time, or ever, then changing it is the first thing to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts