Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:nerd: Surprisingly, I can't find much in the way of Rock Sliders. I would think many would be interested in them. They sure came in handy on my old FJ Cruiser! I'd love to find some that just bolt on. Any info on who definitely fabricates or sells them for our Outbacks would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I doubt very many OB's are ever driven where sliders would be needed.

If there was enough demand, I'm sure someone would be fabricating a set.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here in the West and Southwest, they would be very beneficial. Basically, anyone who goes offroad and is concerned enough about the potential damage that he or she would invest in skid plates will add rock sliders for the same reason - avoiding potentially expensive damage - to one's rocker panels.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pretty much you'll need to get them fabricated.

I was thinking of getting some made, but after some thinking I decided that if I ever get in a situation where I need slider, the front bumper facia would have been torn off or other body damage would have already occurred, and I would probably stop what I was doing. I do understand it's value in a situation where you're sliding, trying to squeeze past and obstacle or some sharp break over angle, but in my opinion you'd have run into other issues stopping your progress.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of you with fabbed sliders

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,221 Posts
@MiddleAgeSubie may have seen such things ...somewhere.

Australia seems to have a large collection of fabricators that make off road parts for subaru.

·
Registered
211 Posts
One of the guys who fabs some our regional offroad Subaru groups vehicles is primarily a Jeep and exhaust guy. Hopefully any good fabricator would work with you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@MiddleAgeSubie may have seen such things ...somewhere.

Australia seems to have a large collection of fabricators that make off road parts for subaru.

I was looking there as well. So far zip...If I find them anywhere, it will probably be there.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Don't FJs have frames that you can attach stuff onto?

Outbacks are of unitized construction. I'd expect that step 1 in adding sliders would be adding an exoframe to support them. I'm not a serious off-roader; just pointing out a fundamental difference between these two vehicles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't FJs have frames that you can attach stuff onto?

Outbacks are of unitized construction. I'd expect that step 1 in adding sliders would be adding an exoframe to support them. I'm not a serious off-roader; just pointing out a fundamental difference between these two vehicles.
I was going to say the same thing. Sliders attach to a frame. I would imagine some fab work would be involved in putting sliders on an OB.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,221 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. Sliders attach to a frame. I would imagine some fab work would be involved in putting sliders on an OB.
I only made it past the brain storming phase, but the fabricator I spoke to said it shouldn't be much different than the unibody Jeep Cherokees. It attaches to the pinch welds with added support to the b pillar.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
I only made it past the brain storming phase, but the fabricator I spoke to said it shouldn't be much different than the unibody Jeep Cherokees. It attaches to the pinch welds with added support to the b pillar.

Yeah, that could work. However, coming from an FJ:

--You will need to change your driving style, unlearn things, and learn others. There is no other way.

--A rock slider will turn the bad rocker panel clearance of a stock Subaru into a grotesque joke. With a 2.5" total lift, my real life rocker clearance was a respectable 12" when aired down. That was enough for many moderate trails. But with a rock slider, even a minimalist one, I would have been back to stock rocker clearance or something that does not protect at all.

--The front bumper is so awful, it is a real early warning system. If it clears a rock, chances are you won't hit the rocker panel and even if you do, it should be a minor hit. The jacking points are likely to take that hit. The Subaru cage is very strong, but I am not sure how much/if the entire panel is part of it. Maybe someone needs to jack a junked 2007+ Subaru right between the doors and find out?

Again, your rocker clearance is never going to be much more than your exhaust clearance underneath. So, the 4x4 rule that you always put the wheel on the bigger stuff does not necessarily apply here. Inventive lines is what I used to take.

So, I vote against rock sliders on a Subaru. If it is old and has no market value, that's different.

Btw, I will post some AZ trail notes in the sticky in the unpaved section at some point soon.

Reactions: eagleeye and Brucey

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, that could work. However, coming from an FJ:

--You will need to change your driving style, unlearn things, and learn others. There is no other way.

--A rock slider will turn the bad rocker panel clearance of a stock Subaru into a grotesque joke. With a 2.5" total lift, my real life rocker clearance was a respectable 12" when aired down. That was enough for many moderate trails. But with a rock slider, even a minimalist one, I would have been back to stock rocker clearance or something that does not protect at all.

--The front bumper is so awful, it is a real early warning system. If it clears a rock, chances are you won't hit the rocker panel and even if you do, it should be a minor hit. The jacking points are likely to take that hit. The Subaru cage is very strong, but I am not sure how much/if the entire panel is part of it. Maybe someone needs to jack a junked 2007+ Subaru right between the doors and find out?

Again, your rocker clearance is never going to be much more than your exhaust clearance underneath. So, the 4x4 rule that you always put the wheel on the bigger stuff does not necessarily apply here. Inventive lines is what I used to take.

So, I vote against rock sliders on a Subaru. If it is old and has no market value, that's different.

Btw, I will post some AZ trail notes in the sticky in the unpaved section at some point soon.
Yeah totally agree with all those points. You'll totally break something else or be in trouble before you'll ever need sliders.

I have similar feelings towards getting an bumper made. I think there is diminishing returns, even with a minor improvement in approach angle. I might still do a hidden winch though.

I'm glad you're still participating in the forums even though you retired your Subie!

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
Thanks!

I was close to getting a SubaX bumper. Then I decided that I had been postponing the logical move long enough. The only front bumper that would make sense needs to be aluminum and will cost a fortune to make as a one-off. The SubaX bumper without the bullbar is proven but it only adds 3-5 degrees of AA. The price of that bumper would be 1600 before shipping, if they make it at all that way and if they still have a US distributor.

For me, 2" lift, skid plates, and the best tires for one's use, are enough for an OB. Upgraded brake pads and a brace or RSB upgrade and it is all great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts