Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to diagnose a clicking/popping sound when making hard right turns in my 2016. CV axle shafts look to be fine. I can see what looks to be dried grease on the sway bar bracket with the rubber that connects the bar to the frame (not the end links). For some reason I have a feeling the sound is related to that but I could be wrong. Could that even cause that type of sound? I installed a readylift 2” lift about a year ago. Anyone here have a similar clicking sound that wasn’t the Cv axle? I remember when installing the sway bar end link extension I had a very hard time getting the sway bar to line up properly. I ended up being able to just get in place to tighten in the bracket but it didn’t seem like a great fit. Tie rods and ball joints look to be Ok. Any advice is appreciated here!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,593 Posts
Sway bar and links will make noise on bumps. When turning it's generally the CV joint. Looking at it you can't determine the wear inside the boot. A bad joint doesn't make a boot rip.

A sway bar can make a squeaky noise if the bushing is dried out or falling apart. Is it contacting other metal anywhere?

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,783 Posts
Is it a steady click click click that is related to wheel speed? If so, then most likely it is a bad CV.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply’s. I also suspected cv joint. I examined myself and it looked fine. I took to my local mechanic and he also said the cv joints looked fine. Going to just take it to another shop today and see what’s happening.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,648 Posts
As was already mentioned, just because the boot is intact doesn't rule out the axle - don't think you can typically diagnose that with a quick visual check. My indy Subaru shop said the same thing after getting my car up on the lift. But, after I mentioned the knock in tight turns, they agreed that was the likely cause. Axle was replaced and the noise was gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts