Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I came from the wold of big trucks and fast cars, but I'm no mechanic. I was looking for a cai for my 2011 2.5 and didn't see one. Making one, complete with air deflector/heat shield would be easy enough, just not sure it matters. Has anyone done this? Pics?

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you do some research here on this forum (and other subaru forums) you'll see that the Subaru is one of the few vehicles which already has about the best intake possible. Installation of any CAI you can find will require you to do a tune or risk running lean.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't have to research the stock CAI, I looked at the engine and saw it.. However, iOS read on it. The intake is not smooth bored and the inlet looks restrictive.

What Bradze posted is what I was asking about. I didn't know anyone made one aftermarket. Has anyone ever ran one of these for any length of time? If I was interested in a fast and noisy car, I wouldn't have bought a 4 banger subaru. I want to retain the gas mileage I enjoy while getting a little better acceleration.

So, has anyone used this aftermarket one or has anyone made one? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
The only way to improve on Subaru intake systems is to reconfigure the tubing to pull air in from the fender area. You will get ambient temperature air and the fender and inner liner will muffle the noise from the engine sucking in air. You can change the "accordianed" tubing with smooth silicone tubes, then fit in the sensors.

I went to the extreme.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
people buying wagons aren't into cars, its usually just a means of getting from point a to b. sedans can be a different story, there are plenty of them out there owned by people that only care about their starbucks and watching reality tv, but a decent percentage are owned by people who think cars are cool and want to have fun with them. most prefer the styling of a sedan over a wagon

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
people buying wagons aren't into cars, its usually just a means of getting from point a to b. sedans can be a different story, there are plenty of them out there owned by people that only care about their starbucks and watching reality tv, but a decent percentage are owned by people who think cars are cool and want to have fun with them. most prefer the styling of a sedan over a wagon
You may find this interesting: club.liberty.asn.au • Login

Its a forum poll "Wagon vs Sedan". You may have to register with the site before you can see it. Its under members only.

The "wagon" is actually winning. Go figure.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
its just always been my experience people prefer the styling of a sedan over a wagon. most of my friends would never dare drive a wagon. personally, i loathe sedans.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
I find it odd that no one messes with these cars, but they do with Legacies. Why is that?
you just haven't been around long enough.

I have seen multiple posts on the following;

how to raise my Outback

how to lower my outback

swapping in a different engine in my outback

swapping a different transmission into my outback

putting a rear LSD in my outback

putting a turbo engine in my outback

putting a supercharger in my outback

putting bigger brakes on my outback

putting better struts on my outback

putting heavier anti-roll bars on my outback

putting better lighting on my outback

putting bigger rims on my outback

putting a metal skid plate on my outback

putting huge light bars with mega-lighting on my outback

many other more minor mods

(you might enjoy reading at ultimatesubaru.org and at NASIOC for mod ideas too)

But the intake and exhaust systems on the NA motors don't present much opportunity for noticeable increases in power.

·
Registered
399 Posts
A K&N is probably the most work/modification an average N/A subaru owner is willing to do.
My 0-60MPH went from the mid 9s range (9.67s if I remember correctly) to the upper 8 second range (around 8.8xs) with just a K&N filter on an otherwise stock '00 Legacy Brighton 5spd - no reflash needed for N/A cars...

I put a filter, EL Headers, 2.25" Exhaust on the car to get 0-60MPH time from 9.67s to 8.03s on the stock ECU - pretty decent gains on a '00 ej251, but best bang/buck was the K&N filter.

My stock longblock 2.2l single port OBS-t is much more modified - I like wagons...

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
well, obviously there are, but its such a small group. even on this forum, and i imagine all the users on here make up less than 5% of outback owners. i will never buy another k&n filter. oiling is a nightmare and there is a chance itll mess up you're MAF sensor. i have an afe dry flow filter in my outback and an aem dry flow filter in my wifes impreza. they work the same as a K&N but no oil

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've never had any issues with K&N's on Subarus.

I've personally used K&N's on my EJ20G swapped '94 Legacy turbo (MAF), '02 WRX Ej205 (MAF), '96 ej22 OBS (MAF), '99 EJ222 OBS (MAP), '00 Legacy Brighton Ej251 (MAP), '03 Legacy L-SE Ej251 (MAP) with no problems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
11 Participants
kmssgoten
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing