Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
952 Posts
With my Outback spending so much time parked in the driveway I notice sometimes when the wind is really strong it shakes the car side to side a little bit while it is sitting there. Will a bigger sway bar fix that? :devilish:
Only a 20mm RSB can help.

Reactions: kitolmc and Danver

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
With my Outback spending so much time parked in the driveway I notice sometimes when the wind is really strong it shakes the car side to side a little bit while it is sitting there. Will a bigger sway bar fix that? :devilish:
Go big or go home... 25mm Perrin for that application. Shift that lateral load transfer as much as you can... anything else that occurs as a result is not important.

·
Registered
952 Posts
There is a stretch of road around me that is not maintained and is almost like going offroad. I hit the road going about 60 mph. I braced myself for drama. It turned out my Outback was bored by the challenge. The engineers apparently tuned the car for this type of situation. In come the group-thinkers who know better with their stiffer sway bars. Unfortunately, a stiffer sway bar is not going to be ideal in every situation, just like any type of tuning. The situation in the original post is just one of those situations where a stiffer sway bar is not ideal. Get over it.
That is where the drivers skill, attention and ability to correct take over. Unfortunately, while driver aptitude should take priority it seems these are too many relying on the machine to do it all for them.

BTW, all a stiffer sway bar does is correct the under steer Subaru‘s lawyers not engineers dialed in.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,768 Posts
That is where the drivers skill, attention and ability to correct take over. Unfortunately, while driver aptitude should take priority it seems these are too many relying on the machine to do it all for them.

BTW, all a stiffer sway bar does is correct the under steer Subaru‘s lawyers not engineers dialed in.
Or maybe the 16mm sway bar is better for the offroad conditions that Subaru shows in 90% of their ads for the Outback. But why would Subaru advertise an SUV being operated mostly offroad? That is so weird. (saracsm)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Or maybe the 16mm sway bar is better for the offroad conditions that Subaru shows in 90% of their ads for the Outback. But why would Subaru advertise an SUV being operated mostly offroad? That is so weird. (saracsm)
If you think the majority of Subaru's are operated offroad I have a bridge I’d like to talk to you about. That is lifestyle marketing my friend.
Modern cars are designed like everything else by lawyers, and to pander to the lowest common denominator.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,768 Posts
If you think the majority of Subaru's are operated offroad I have a bridge I’d like to talk to you about. That is lifestyle marketing my friend.
Modern cars are designed like everything else by lawyers, and to pander to the lowest common denominator.
It is not that complicated. A stiffer sway bar is inferior for offroad/softroad conditions, and Subaru literally advertises the Outback as an offroad/softroad vehicle. You bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
380 Posts
I have a 19mm rear sway bar and it's disconnected.
What does this mean? You own it and it is not installed? Disconnect has a different meaning in the off road world. Think 4runner / Jeep Rubicon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,990 Posts
What does this mean? You own it and it is not installed? Disconnect has a different meaning in the off road world. Think 4runner / Jeep Rubicon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It's currently on the car and zip tied to the chassis.

Disconnected.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
864 Posts
Seems to me there are an awful lot of folks on here that have absolutely no idea what they are talking about when it comes to cars. Even more need to get a defense driving or SCCA class and learn how to drive!
Maybe the Subaru stereotypes are dead on.
Everyone should have that sort of training imo, I agree. Mine (autocross, defensive driving, performance driving, PCA Drivers Ed track days, etc.) saved my life (avoiding a horrific rollover adjacent to me on the Merritt Parkway In CT).

What’s your on track CV/experience? :cool:

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
596 Posts
The 19mm sway bar is a improvement in handling. I would have gone with the 20mm however I would have had to replace the links which I did not want to do. I think the issue was not with the car but with the bump or the driver reaction to the bump in the road.
why would you have had to change your links with the 20mm? I’m running that with stock links, no issues

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
Pretty sketchy on the highway.
Brucey. Why don't you design a "quick-release" mechanism so that just prior to going off road, you disengage the RSB, and before going back on-road, you re-engage them? There could be a market for this type of thing. But seriously, I'm sure someone else has already considered it.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,990 Posts
Brucey. Why don't you design a "quick-release" mechanism so that just prior to going off road, you disengage the RSB, and before going back on-road, you re-engage them? There could be a market for this type of thing. But seriously, I'm sure someone else has already considered it.
I kinda did already but wasn't super happy with the design. I just replaced the nut on the end link with a cotter pin.

It wasn't really any easier than just unbolting it so I stopped using it.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
It wasn't really any easier than just unbolting it so I stopped using it.
It's a problem looking for a different solution perhaps? There is a potential patent in it.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
I've had bump steer issues with my Outback since before I put on a 19mm RSB. If anything the sway bar just made bump-steer more pronounced because I'm more comfortable taking corners a bit faster without all the body roll. Swapping the struts for Bilstein's that have more controlled rebound dampening and a more linear travel rate helped a ton with bump-steer but I still get it on occasion. As much as people like to trust the engineers, the OEM dampers are absolute crap IMO, 2018+ are a bit better but still not great.

21 - 40 of 101 Posts