Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm considering a 2014 OB. I'm new to Subaru and was wondering if the shaking vibration issue owners have been dealing with since the 2010 model has been fixed? I'm also concerned about Subaru and the dealer's response to owner's complaints. Have then addressed them fairly?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
I have not heard any reports on a 2014. Or 2013 for that matter.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hi, I'm considering a 2014 OB. I'm new to Subaru and was wondering if the shaking vibration issue owners have been dealing with since the 2010 model has been fixed? I'm also concerned about Subaru and the dealer's response to owner's complaints. Have then addressed them fairly?
LOL heck even in 2010 I knew about this issue and bought both 2010's after being very analytical about the road tests before purchasing them. Both have over 50K and are shake free.

This was not an issue that impacted all 2010's I will say I drove one with a confirmed shake issue that was not tire related. It's not hard to spot during a test drive when you run several speed ranges on a known highway in my case freshly repaved section of I80 where we drove at 60- 65-70-75 each speed we drove at a solid 8 minutes looking for vibration only after making sure the tires were properly inflated all 4 on both the cars we bought were at 40psi I lowered them to the door sill pressures before the drive.

Both cars are flawless zero issues great cars. Many of us think that the issue cropped up with a bad batch of parts around the mid 2010 released cars though some folks reported having the issue through 2011 by 2012 very few people were reporting confirmed shakes vs just a bad tire or tires. The 2014's the shakes would be a non worry for me I we were buying again. Though I would still do a good test drive checking tires before hand for proper pressure and checking the car at various speeds you typically cruise at and would find vibration exceptionally annoying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@AWDFTW Thanks for the reply. Reports of it being fixed or it still being a problem?

@subiesailor You too. A drive is in order. It sounds like the vehicle is very sensitive to tire pressure and balance.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
No issues reported.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
The issue was solved by early 2011 production. Long gone...but not forgotten...at least by me...lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2013 2.5 OB started shaking at about 10,000 miles. It quickly got worse - dealer replaced one of the front drive shafts and that cured it. Have 40,000+ miles now without a repeat problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
vibration still present-2014 new model

Title says it all. Thanks to all of you on this forum, I am aware of this issue since 2012. We drove 2 2014 OB with the 2.5. One had 4 miles, the other 46. BOTH had the shimmy and the salesman and manager both looked me dead in the eye and stated, "its not like its a known issue.". HMMMMM I told them politely that I had heard that since at least 2011, these OB models have had this issue. We were all polite and civil but bottom line: we will not be buying the OB. Nice car but I cannot plunk down $27,000 on a leftover 2014 if it has this issue.

Thank you all for helping my wife and I make an important decision. I still like the car but I cannot and will not live with it.

sincerely,

Craig

·
Registered
2014 Outback Premium w/ moonroof package, Twilight Blue
4 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 OB 2.5i premium a week ago, and have been dealing with a massive shake/shimmy issue. Already had the car into the dealer who rebalanced the tires, but that didn't help. The steering wheel is very shakey at freeway speeds, it's awful. I originally thought it was just the road I was feeling but I realized I was feeling the harsh vibration even on perfectly smooth week old pavement. Taking the car in again this week to see what they can do, but I'm incredibly frustrated. It has less than 400 miles on it....

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
A fairly systemic production issue is one thing, an individual car having an one-off problem is a completely different issue.

I had a vibration problem related to a poorly performed tire installation by a Sears shop.

You should ask your dealer to put the car "under microscope" and look for everything from alignment to axles to whatever not.

Did the car exhibit any of these problems during the test drive?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am glad I found this forum. As an owner of two subsequent vehicles with incurable highway vibration I am very sensitive to this. I am researching my future car whenever in the future I would need one. So, Subaru is out if the running. I'd rather drag on my 05 Camry indefinitely than go though the anguish of getting bounced by the dealers with a brand new car and spending out-of-pocket on new tires and rims. Extremely frustrating. I own a 15 yo Honda that is glass smooth on the highway and the rims, suspension and steering are original.

·
Registered
14 2.5i Premium CVT - SOLD 05 XT limited 5AT
413 Posts
Just to add a datapoint: my 2014 outback does not have any issues. Granted I only have 200 miles on the odo.

UPDATE: After another 600 miles on the car, no vibrations yet.

·
Registered
'14 OB 3.6R Limited and a bunch of motorcycles
114 Posts
'14 3.6R here., 600 miles. No shimmy, but car does "wander" a tiny bit more than my 03 Forester. Added 19" STI rear sway bar. Helped a lot with making cornering more neutral, but negligible effect on the wandering.

In another thread a user mentioned taking apart the damper, adding a spacer, and then also greasing the pad (nullifying the effect of the viscous damping fluid). He felt that it had a great effect on reducing wandering. I think he's onto something here. It might be the force used to steer the car is excessive to some, causing a lack of fine feel in the steering.

When I used to hang glide we often had a problem called PIO, or pilot induced oscillation. When on-tow behind the tow plane, we would frequently see an oscilation in the direction of the glider caused by pilot over correction. The gliders don't self-center on-tow, and the temptation is to wrestle the glider onto center when being towed. This wrestling caused a lack of sensitivity and constant over correction.

(edit add: "We had a smart flight instructor.")

He had a really neat demonstration to drive the point home: he had two 12" stainless steel tubes that looked identical on the outside. One was hollow and weighed a few ounces, the other was partially filled and weighed a couple of lbs. He'd hold them out and ask the student to grab each tube, one in each hand, with a very firm grip. Then he'd let go and ask the student which was heavier without relaxing their grip. The student always said they felt the same. Then he'd tell the student to relax their grip and VOILA! it was immediately apparent which one weighed more. It took the lighter grip to be able to discern the amount of force gravity had on each.

I suspect that we're seeing a similar effect with wandering Outbacks, because of the 6+lbs of force needed to move the steering wheel. Toe may also play an effect, as well as the height of the vehicle, of course.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2014 OB Premium CVT
4 Posts
Vibration at first, now solved

Hello folks,

We bought a '14 Premium in June and had both a vibration and slight alignment issue. It did take three visits to the dealer, with a lot of follow up emails with both the service rep and sales rep, but they did eventually fix both. Now have almost 3k miles and no issues.

·
Registered
413 Posts
'14 3.6R here., 600 miles. No shimmy, but car does "wander" a tiny bit more than my 03 Forester. Added 19" STI rear sway bar. Helped a lot with making cornering more neutral, but negligible effect on the wandering.

In another thread a user mentioned taking apart the damper, adding a spacer, and then also greasing the pad (nullifying the effect of the viscous damping fluid). He felt that it had a great effect on reducing wandering. I think he's onto something here. It might be the force used to steer the car is excessive to some, causing a lack of fine feel in the steering.

When I used to hang glide we often had a problem called PIO, or pilot induced oscillation. When on-tow behind the tow plane, we would frequently see an oscilation in the direction of the glider caused by pilot over correction. The gliders don't self-center on-tow, and the temptation is to wrestle the glider onto center when being towed. This wrestling caused a lack of sensitivity and constant over correction.

He had a really neat demonstration to drive the point home: he had two 12" stainless steel tubes that looked identical on the outside. One was hollow and weighed a few ounces, the other was partially filled and weighed a couple of lbs. He'd hold them out and ask the student to grab each tube, one in each hand, with a very firm grip. Then he'd let go and ask the student which was heavier without relaxing their grip. The student always said they felt the same. Then he'd tell the student to relax their grip and VOILA! it was immediately apparent which one weighed more. It took the lighter grip to be able to discern the amount of force gravity had on each.

I suspect that we're seeing a similar effect with wandering Outbacks, because of the 6+lbs of force needed to move the steering wheel. Toe may also play an effect, as well as the height of the vehicle, of course.

Just a thought.
On wandering, I find that under-steering (steering much less than what my instincts tell me I need to do) reduces the wandering. In effect I find myself having to steer the outback like a boat, and putting the steering back to center slightly before I would have on another car.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hello folks,

We bought a '14 Premium in June and had both a vibration and slight alignment issue. It did take three visits to the dealer, with a lot of follow up emails with both the service rep and sales rep, but they did eventually fix both. Now have almost 3k miles and no issues.
what did they do to fix it?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Two early 2010's bought with awareness of this issue. Zero vibration issues 60,000 miles, zero alignment issues.

only issue was a out of round Continental tire at 25k suffered with it till 40,000 then replaced all the tires with BFG touring tires, smooth vibration free again.

Do not confuse tire issues with mechanical vibration issues. They are not one in the same.

·
Registered
2014 OB Premium CVT
4 Posts
what did they do to fix it?
They balanced the tires twice, and performed multiple alignments until they got it right. On the third visit, they had it for 3 days and I insisted that the service manager road test the car before calling me to tell me that it's ready. They did, however, try the usual excuses... road crown, suspension has to "settle" (whatever that means), steering wheel is off center. I think you just have to be persistent, follow up with emails, and have them road test the car with you each time. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts