Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to put this in a reply to the misadventures thread, but I thought I'd float it on its own.

After seeing so many near-misses on film, I don't fluster so easily when I see one really happening. I'll pass right by something that would make some drivers (and passengers) try madly to avoid, even though they too could pass by it.

Changing lanes or having others change lanes around you can take on a little NASCAR once in a while, depending on who you have in the other cars around you. You learn to take a close move as a matter of course.

(BTW as it's a growing sport, there are more NASCAR fans in traffic around, all the time. *G* ball game fans might be able to get out and toss a ball once in a while, but race fans drive all the time.)

I should not be allowed to watch rally footage. Period.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
I realize that most people view a car as an appliance- like the TV, or coffee maker. driving is a chore for them. That is why I think they have little regard for the basic rules and courtesies of driving.

When I'm driving, I watch everything everything that's going on around me and as far down the road as I can see. I often take advantage of the fact that people aren't paying attention to move quickly through traffic- I prefer to be far ahead of the rolling roadblocks.

I'll formulate some better thoughts on this...

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I recently found an old Tiger Electronics handheld racing game from the early 90s in my basement.
I play it every morning now...and it has seriously affected my driving. The game is so simple and you pretty much just race your car along and weave in and out of traffic through 3 lanes.

Now I get out on the highway and I catch myself doing 80mph in a 55...and weaving in and out trying to get by people. I imagine it looks terribly strange to the other drivers to see a white station wagon driving that way.

But in general, I stick to the "be alone" type of driving, whereas I speed up enough to get ahead of everyone, or don't speed up so they are all ahead of me. If someone is driving next to me, I will speed/slow and make it so they aren't...and I hate a-holes who drive in my blindspot (which is pretty large on most Subaru's).

I try to avoid other drivers at all costs, because I don't trust anyone on the road other than myself.

Confidence in what you and your car can do together is the most important trait for a driver to have, and 95% of the drivers out there have ZERO confidence in their driving (aka my girlfriend who *brakes* when she signals to switch lanes on a highway...that drives me crazy! pun intended.)

Woo! 100 posts!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well I am not sure watching race footage affects my driving y much but I do know that playing a really good racing game does. I was addicted to "Need for Speed Underground" over Christmas break and talk about affecting my driving, snap lane changes, zooming around the "mobile road blocks" it definitely had me charged up. That game is seriously a playable version of The Fast & The Furious and 2 Fast 2 Furious :D

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
When music from the Wipeout series starts to come out of the stereo, my trigger finger starts itching for some missles or a shockwave...

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
About 2 months after I got my OBS I watched the last hour of one of the WRC races I had on Tivo before going to work. I almost put my car in a ditch getting sideways on the gravel service road out of/down from my neighborhood. I don't watch WRC footage before heading to work anymore. :D

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I believe watching in car racing video has helped me in my rallycrossing. In the aspect that I try to slide the rear end around the corners like the Scandinavian flick. Has anyone watched the in-car rallycross video of our Nebraska course earlier this month? It's in the 'Rally Heaven' forum. Look at those three videos, two in-car and tell me if that doesn't make you wanna go rip up the dirt! Brian

·
Registered
181 Posts
In-car sure does affect your driving for better or for worse,

BUT,

Colin McRae Rally 2.0 does it better.:22: :22: :22:

tbert

WooHoo: tbert=sargent

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
big daddy & Richard Petty

I remember way back in the days of going to the movies to see racing! Bullit! The driver! Madmax no 1! oh yea are you pumped yet! None of the nos back then pure cubes and lots of rubber!:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
Scooby
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing