Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT Premium
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Not sure what area to post this in. I have done some searching, but haven't found what I am looking for. If anyone has an idea of where to find the info I am searching for please let me know.

I have a 2012 Outback, Premium. I have noticed the hatch has developed a rattle when going over uneven/slightly rough roads. I have noticed it more since the weather has gotten colder. It seems as though the hatch gate isn't held in against the car as tight as it should be. I don't feel up to taking it to the dealer for adjustment. Does anyone have pictures, information, or know of a write up for how to adjust the hatch? I feel that it must be something I can adjust myself. Thanks in advance for the help.
~Patrick

·
Registered
184 Posts
Super easy. I don't have pics or step by step, however it fairly simple.
First remove the hatch scuff sill (probably a couple screws and clips).
That will allow you to adjust the striker. The hatch strike is probably held on with 2 bolts. Mark the striker with a marker or tape. Then loosen the striker bolts and tap the striker in a little bit (1/8 in.) with a hammer. Tighten bolts and try the gate. Make further adjustment if necessary.
Be sure you dont move the striker side to side as you move it in.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Super easy. I don't have pics or step by step, however it fairly simple.
First remove the hatch scuff sill (probably a couple screws and clips).
That will allow you to adjust the striker. The hatch strike is probably held on with 2 bolts. Mark the striker with a marker or tape. Then loosen the striker bolts and tap the striker in a little bit (1/8 in.) with a hammer. Tighten bolts and try the gate. Make further adjustment if necessary.
Be sure you dont move the striker side to side as you move it in.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help. I think I will give a shot....just need to figure out how to remove the hatch scuff sill. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
If I remember correctly the trim piece just pops up. I don't think there is any harware holding down other than the clips.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I remember correctly the trim piece just pops up. I don't think there is any harware holding down other than the clips.
That is correct. I took out the cargo tray that sits on the spare tire. I then used a trim tool to pop out 4 "christmas tree" retainers. This then allowed the piece to pop out. I was glad I had the trim tool. Made it much easier to pop the retainers.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Just remember when you put the trim back in place to properly tuck the rubber seal (you'll know when you're doing it).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just remember when you put the trim back in place to properly tuck the rubber seal (you'll know when you're doing it).
Can't say I paid much attention to the seal. Seems to look the same as when I took it out. Drove the car around for a bit. Noise seems to be gone. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Can't say I paid much attention to the seal. Seems to look the same as when I took it out. Drove the car around for a bit. Noise seems to be gone. Thanks for the tip.
Glad the noise is gone. I too had to adjust the hatch so that I would not get any more false "door ajar" warnings in the dash. I don't have to slam the door anymore. It locks tight every time.

The plastic trim tucks underneath the rubber seal. Even if it doesn't get tucked in the whole thing will function normally - it's just aesthetic.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 LTD with Nav & Sunroof Pkg's
79 Posts
I'm having the same issue and I'm very excited about the build quality of my 2013 OB with 5600 miles on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts