Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT premium with sunroof
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you seen the Toyota Venza commercial that’s filmed at some recreation area comparing a Venza to a Outback. It says the Venza has all the utility and AWD the outback has, but it has "style" too. So you should buy the Toyota Venza because you can have style and everything the outback has. Myself I didn’t even consider an Venza. How many Venza’s get sold compared to Outback’s? I bet not many.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
I can tell you that I work at a ford, kia, hyundai,suzuki dealer and we get a lot of venza's traded in with under 5k(I think we have an 11 now with 2,100). The majority seem to be 4 cylinders but we usually wind up sending them to the auction because we can't sell them.

I myself never even considered the Venza. It's not all it's cracked up to be and is overpriced.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Have you seen the Toyota Venza commercial that’s filmed at some recreation area comparing a Venza to a Outback. It says the Venza has all the utility and AWD the outback has, but it has "style" too. So you should buy the Toyota Venza because you can have style and everything the outback has. Myself I didn’t even consider an Venza. How many Venza’s get sold compared to Outback’s? I bet not many.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Heard the radio ad on my way home today. They said that and said that "Toyotas last longer than Subarus in New England" according to Polk. I really question that one.

Plus, I think the Venza is ugly, and why on earth would I want one when I'd only get a middle-of-the-line 4 cylinder model for the same price I could get a loaded Outback H6 for?

The radio ad also implied that Toyota's AWD system was "advanced" and therefore competitive with Subaru's...I thought that was pretty funny.

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
I test drove a Venza before ordering my Outback, which is to be my 5th Subaru.
It was higher up and roomier. It was not as comfortable and the visability was not so good. The sales force was high pressure. When the sales person could not get me interested enough she walked me into the manager's office. When left alone for a few minutes I walked out.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
They must not be selling many of them because I do not recall seeing Venza ads until just recently,then they are all over the TV. Expensive and crappy mileage...

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Have you seen the Toyota Venza commercial that’s filmed at some recreation area comparing a Venza to a Outback. It says the Venza has all the utility and AWD the outback has, but it has "style" too. So you should buy the Toyota Venza because you can have style and everything the outback has. Myself I didn’t even consider an Venza. How many Venza’s get sold compared to Outback’s? I bet not many.<O:p</O:p
WAY over priced! Is the major issue with the Venza. Pair that with the super jumbo Toyota dealers most of which are owned by huge Auto Groups who in effect set the price on all the Toyota cars for a given region and - you have enough negatives that people will pass on it.

·
Registered
2013 outback SAP
84 Posts
When I was looking at 6cyl models the Venza was high on my list. It drove well, has a great engine and the interior is very nice. Closer to a lexus than most toyotas. It had good 6cyl gas mileage and power. The one big turn off was the starting price for the limited 6cyl ($37k :-o )

When I decided to go the fuel saver route and started looking at 4cyl vehicles, the venza no longer stacked up. It could get close to the outback until you put awd on it. awd was not a deal killer for me, but if I can have awd AND better mpg it is a huge plus. (BTW Venza 4cyl AWD gets the same highway gas mileage as the outback H6 20/25)

I love the interior and sunroof but IMO they priced themselves out of the market. They are trying to compete with BMW and Audi wagons (so is acura) but they did it in a toyota branded car.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
I can tell you that I work at a ford, kia, hyundai,suzuki dealer and we get a lot of venza's traded in with under 5k(I think we have an 11 now with 2,100). The majority seem to be 4 cylinders but we usually wind up sending them to the auction because we can't sell them.

I myself never even considered the Venza. It's not all it's cracked up to be and is overpriced.
I drove one about a year and half ago and thought it rode hard with 20 inch tires but the 4 cylinder seemed ok if not a little noisy and the interior seemed to have cheaper plastics than the OB, my 12 Impreza is superior. Like most Toyota and Lexus products they are overpriced

·
Registered
466 Posts
I drove one about a year and half ago and thought it rode hard with 20 inch tires but the 4 cylinder seemed ok if not a little noisy and the interior seemed to have cheaper plastics than the OB, my 12 Impreza is superior. Like most Toyota and Lexus products they are overpriced

I have to agree with you on all of that. I drove one of the 4 cyl Venza's we had and it is noisy.

I have a 2012 Impreza too(which I'll be trading) and I was kind of hoping the OB would get the Impreza's soft touch dash. Unfortunetly, it didn't but that's ok.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
yup, i considered a venza because toyotas are great, but way overpriced. i made the right decision but should've gotten limited trim and maybe the 3.6

·
Registered
466 Posts
Toyota's WERE great vehicles. My friend bought a 2010 Corolla S and he complained about the car wanting to go left or right, so I figured it needed an alignment(this was at 250 miles). I drove the car and it was actually pretty scary. The car wanted to go left or right even when you had both hands on the wheel holding it as straight as could be. The dealer said they'd do him a favor and "buy the car back if he bought another toyota". He leased a 2011 Camry LE. That car was a quality nightmare with panel gaps and the dash coming up. Toyota wanted nothing to do with it.

He lost some money but went out and got himself a 2011 Elantra and hasn't looked back since. I agree that toyota's were great cars especially in early 90's-2006, but since then quality has really gone down.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Wait Toyota owns 20% of Subaru and they are publicly claiming they're not good?
I think it is more like 16 or 17 percent and Toyota's strengths are a quiet ride and quality workmanship. I will agree with the quietness but quality is something they have lost pre 2005. They are making some headway in this area though

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
198 Posts
Went to toyota a while ago and looked at the Venza as an Alternative to an Outback.. The 4 cylinder FWD Venza has much worse MPG than the AWD Outback and it cost MUCH more for the same equipment. You could not touch anything for 25k other than a stripped model Venza FWD. You can get a 4 cylinder AWD model however it is much slower even the base Venza with AWD ends up costing the price of a base limited Outback

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yeah, no kidding. I thought Legacy's & Camry's come down the same assyl-line? If the Venza is Camry-based I would think they make them alongside the Outback/ Legacy too?

I breifly looked at the Venza before getting my '11 Outback aswell, I actually think the Venza looks better, but the deal breaker was questionable AWD ability and lower ground-clearance than the Outback.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I considered a Venza, but I'm 100% happy with my decision to get an Outback. I choose not to spend more than $30k on a vehicle, so I was obviously looking at a base model Venza or an OB 2.5i Premium. Two of my 'must haves' were a standard double DIN sized stereo for ease of upgrading, and it had to have the interior space like a proper mid-sized wagon. I like the Venza's exterior styling as I think it's quite nice looking. The interior is nice, but the dash mounted shifter was too minivanish for me. Plus it was only available in light gray or beige inside. I think they now finally offer a black interior for 2013.

Two of the more stereotypical Outback owner things I like to do is mountain bike and camp. On the other hand I do love cars that look aggressive on the road, and if I had gone with a Venza, it would be lowered and made into a 100% street vehicle. The Outback just fit my needs better. I've never had anything with a boxer motor or AWD before either. In the end, I chose to go with inner beauty.

Plus, 19 and 20" tires for a Venza are expensive! I think the better fuel economy and cheaper tires make the OB a winner.

I was looking at:
  • Outback
  • Venza
  • Jetta Sportwagen
  • Used A4 Avant
  • Used 328 wagon

The Audi and Bimmer were never serious contenders, but I've always liked them. The higher cost of maintenance was enough to steer me away, and a stereo swap looks like a nightmare on those things. I was also worried that the Jetta would be in the shop a little too much.

I like driving a $26k OB, especially since a loaded one can be $40k nowadays. It's analogous to owning the smallest house on the block (which I do). It gets you in the club, but saves money and helps your resale value. Plus I personally chose my upgrades a la carte via the afermarket or online OEM dealers. Working on my car keeps my hands busy so I don't get into too much trouble. :17:

PS, I was searching for that Venza commercial online but couldn't find it. I did however find a Brazillian Toyota commercial where the whole thing focuses on a woman's chest wearing a white T-shirt as she drove with the A/C on. You get to see her, *ahem* "change" as the temperature went down. The commercial was touting the standard A/C on Toyotas. :D

Please excuse me, ladies of the forum...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
I haven't seen the ad yet, but it sounds like they are trying to say that it is "just as good" as an Outback. Doesn't sound like they are saying anything bad about the Outback, except maybe the styling. Having said that, I think the Outback looks better than the Venza... But that's just my opinion.

The sad thing is that they are saying it is just as good as a CHEAPER car! It would be like a Mercedes commercial saying that they are just as good as a Lexus. Sad times for Toyota.

The Venza is an oddball. They are trying to go too far upscale. The Outback seems like such a better deal. I'd think that if someone was in the market for an AWD wagon and had too much money to be seen in an Outback, they'd probably be heading for a Volvo or Audi dealership. The Venza doesn't even come standard with AWD... It's an afterthought.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
198 Posts
I test drove a Venza before ordering my Outback, which is to be my 5th Subaru.
It was higher up and roomier. It was not as comfortable and the visability was not so good. The sales force was high pressure. When the sales person could not get me interested enough she walked me into the manager's office. When left alone for a few minutes I walked out.
we sat in one, and contrary to your impression, it semed to us smaller inside than the OB. The back seat seemed smaller and so was cargo area, probably because of 2 bumpouts(not the wheel wells) and sloped roofline. On paper the interior volume is stated to be bigger,. but that may be unusable volume like 1" extra head room (not like OB is lacking in that area) or behind those bumpouts but you cannot put as much actual cargo there.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
Lol... The 4 cylinder Venza is only rated to tow 1,000 pounds. I'm sure it has a better tow rating in other countries, but I guess they're not using that as a selling point here in the US like Subaru does (who actually shows Outbacks towing trailers in their commercials!).

The V6 has a decent tow rating... Actually a little higher than the 3.6R's US rating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife has a V6 Venza AWD. When we were looking, it was between the OB and Venza. The interior size is very similar, but the Toyota interior materials and nav were much nicer. She uses it as the family hauler and its been a great car. Only downside is the mileage never gets above 18 mpg combined. It's a nice ride, but now that it's time for me to get a new car, I'll be getting a '13 OB for my $$.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts