2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the brackets is cracked (as to why I wanted to replace them) and they have the haze over them. Was thinking a nice new set would be the way to go.

Interesting idea with the projector though. I'm considering HID's since they are so cheap these days too.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
That is a really good price, even if they are aftermarket replacements.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
I installed an HID kit, but didn't do projectors... yet. It wasn't too bad, but you will have to drill out a hole in the back cover for the wiring to pass through.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
One of the brackets is cracked (as to why I wanted to replace them) and they have the haze over them. Was thinking a nice new set would be the way to go.

Interesting idea with the projector though. I'm considering HID's since they are so cheap these days too.
If one housing is broken, I would just find another used OEM housing and then polish the lenses and be done. The reflector optics, while not great in the OEM, will be loads better than in an aftermarket housing.

Please don't do the HID pnp kit. It just creates extra glare for the rest of us on the road.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
If one housing is broken, I would just find another used OEM housing and then polish the lenses and be done. The reflector optics, while not great in the OEM, will be loads better than in an aftermarket housing.

Please don't do the HID pnp kit. It just creates extra glare for the rest of us on the road.
Nobody flashes me since installing mine... I used a VVME kit, which are very good for the money.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Nobody flashes me since installing mine... I used a VVME kit, which are very good for the money.
I wouldn't necessarily say that having people flash you is a reasonable measure of if you are impairing other driver's vision. I see people driving around all of the time with pnp HID kits that are causing undue glare to myself and those around me. If I flashed everyone of them, my left arm would get tired of pulling on the stalk.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
If you're going to do the HID projector retrofit like bshusted did, you might want to start with a set of these.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're going to do the HID projector retrofit like bshusted did, you might want to start with a set of these.
Interesting, single bulb conversion?
What is the lower bulb for on the stock setup?

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it converts it to an H4 bulb then?

Does the wiring hook up the same? I like the look of the lights I posted originally though. I don't see myself converting to a projector.

I've seen people mention doing HID's in the foglights too. I would like to upgrade those. I want visibility as much as possible, but I don't want to blind people or have reasons to get pulled over.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I don't know about wiring.

I want to put projectors in my fogs as well. I already have HIDs in them though.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Using the legacy setup would give you more room for a retrofit, but I too prefer the look of the Outback lights. I'm not sure what bulb is used in the legacy lights. Could be H4 or 9007. I can't imagine that Subaru would use a different plug for the Legacy headlights vs the Outback/LGT headlights.

Putting HID lights in the fog housings is the same problem as putting them in the low beam (extra glare). I retrofit projectors into the fogs on my A4 to utilize the extra light without causing glare. I doubt I'll do this for the Outback.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I deliberately did HIDs in the fogs because by nature they are aimed low... less likely to blind other drivers.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
I've read of many people putting Hella 500s in the fog location. I think Kartboy (or ?) even makes a special bracket for that mod.

probably varies by year and model so, not sure.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,796 Posts
If you want brighter fog lamps, just sub 9005 bulbs. You up the output from 1000 L to 1700 L (closing in on what you'll get from low end HID bulbs, it retains exactly the right spread pattern as the filament is in exactly the same place, and you retain the lower emission temperature which is beneficial for fog driving (assuming you buy into the "yellow is better" in fog...). 65 watts is no problem for the housings or wiring (been using them for years).

For even further high output choices, look into HIR bulbs. The 9011/9012 series are also exact fit and alignment with simple tab modifcation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts