Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited, 10 Outback 2.5 MT (sold), 14 Ford Fusion Titanium, 94 Cutlass Supreme 2D
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through some of the threads in the forum and I didn't see anything quite like my issue. I dropped my 2010 2.5 6MT with about 50k miles off at the dealership for the third time last Monday (4/8) for an issue with low speed turns after the car was warmed up. After turning the wheel about 90-180 degrees the car begins to shake and thump kind of violently. The closest thing I've ever felt to it was in my 80 Jeep Cherokee if you tried to make a turn in 4 Low with the 33's and the front axle locked. They could not duplicate on me the first time, and then my wife took it up there a week later when it was doing it and demanded them to come look at it while it was doing it (she tends to be a bit nastier about things then I am) and they realized how bad it was. Fortunately I have the extended warranty and am sitting in a really nice Tahoe (except the 15mpg) at their expense until I get it back, but I don't know of anyone seeing this before. I haven't heard as much as a follow up from them at this point and they are usually on the phone pretty regularly with me when it is in there, so I figured it was time to see what you all had to say, or let others know of my issue.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
bonnevil79<SCRIPT type=text/javascript itxtBad="1"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_568065", true); </SCRIPT>
Car: 2010 Outback 2.5 MT

Bet you got sand in the front CV joints.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
Might be, but also possible the viscous coupler in the manual transmission center differential is locking up. (Effect? "torque bind" or as described for the 4 Low Jeep.)

First question the dealer would (should?) have asked: Are all four tires the same brand, model, size and tread wear (tread depth)?

Second question: Does the symptom appear at any time, that is, when the engine and transmission are still cool, or only after driving for a while and everything is warmed up?

The special fluid in the viscous coupler reacts to heat. If the symptom only appears after the transmission has warmed up, it could be that the fluid is no longer reacting properly, and is setting up (gelling) at a lower temperature than it should.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited, 10 Outback 2.5 MT (sold), 14 Ford Fusion Titanium, 94 Cutlass Supreme 2D
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be, but also possible the viscous coupler in the manual transmission center differential is locking up. (Effect? "torque bind" or as described for the 4 Low Jeep.)

First question the dealer would (should?) have asked: Are all four tires the same brand, model, size and tread wear (tread depth)?

Second question: Does the symptom appear at any time, that is, when the engine and transmission are still cool, or only after driving for a while and everything is warmed up?

The special fluid in the viscous coupler reacts to heat. If the symptom only appears after the transmission has warmed up, it could be that the fluid is no longer reacting properly, and is setting up (gelling) at a lower temperature than it should.
Thanks for the info, not something I would have ever thought of. The dealer didn't ask question 1, but they are all within 1/32" and the same brand.
Question 2 is that it only does it when up to temp.
I guess what you are saying is a possibility then, not sure if the dealership has looked at that as a possibility yet since they haven't called me on it, but I don't think that would take a week or more to figure out if they were looking at it. I guess I could give them a call to check in, but since I am in a rental, I don't feel to hurried to call them.
Thanks for the ideas though, that's why site like this are so great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got the call from the dealership, they said they replaced the center differential, which if I'm correct means you were right about the coupling. A little concerned about that at a whole 50K, but what can you do. Thanks for the info, and hopefully I won't see any more issues after I pick it up, and I am really thankful at the moment for the extended warranty, although, should that be covered under the 5/60 power train warranty?

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
I would think it should be covered within the 5/60. It's a straight forward power train component failure.

It's an unusual failure at that relatively low mileage.

As noted earlier, anything that might force the wheels to turn at different rates for an extended period of time, such as different circumference tires, can contribute to premature failure. If the dealer hasn't suggested or found any apparent external cause, it's probably a random manufacturing defect. Should be no cost.

Let us know . . .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just picked the car up this morning. I laughed when I asked about it and they told me that the power train was only good for 60k, so they billed the extended warranty. I of course asked when 50 became more than 60, and they just said oops, I don't know what I was thinking, and it was covered sans deductible for my extended warranty. Drove it the hour to work this morning, and it felt better. Not sure why, but it actually felt smoother going in and out of gears too, since the stick in that car sometimes disagrees when asked to go into 2nd or 3rd until it's warmed up. Probably just a coincidence, but I'll keep my eye on it.

Took a quick glance at a black on black Forester XT they had on the lot this morning, and it might have been a good thing my salesperson wasn't there, since I might have taken it out for a spin otherwise.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also in SJ Cape Atl Co area , what dealer do you use and are you happy with them.
Sorry, I was away for a while and just saw this. I use Prestige Subaru in Turnersville, Gloucester County, so a little way from you. Overall I've been pretty happy with them, other than one issue in the very beginning after I bought the car they've been very good to me.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Center coupler could have been causing a load up effect making the MT disagreeable to shift at certain speeds so that wouldn't really surprise me if it seems more agreeable to shift than before.

·
Registered
Silver 06 2.5i
696 Posts
Thats were I bought my 06 outback back in sept of 06 . They had the best deal and color I wanted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts