Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im having a huge problem with outback. So when sometimes.I start my car it wont start then when it does the engine starts shaking and sputtering really bad I would be at a low idle. Then sometimes when im driving all of a sudden when I press the gas pretty hard the car engine starts shaking sputter what is causing this problem?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Would be easier to answer your question if we knew what the codes were. Get/borrow a code reader. Autozone or most car part places like it will read the codes for free, but you would have to drive the car there. They will rent/sell the readers also.

We also need to know the following:

Year
Make
Model
engine
tranny
and maintenance history as best you know it

There is not just one simple thing that could be wrong. We can't simply say "replace this" or "jiggle that" and you fine. We need more info to be able to help you correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its 03 Subaru outback ll bean h6 3.0. Ive done all the maintenance on I change Sparks oil. Ive changed the fuel filter and the air filter. I live in norcal and the AutoZone around my place are dicks. If you dont have a dodge Chevy or ford. They will be a Dick. Like I was reading up and it might be mass air flow sensor. But dont know really

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I'm reading that Autozone doesn't scan codes in CA for some reason. I use Autozone as an example because I think they are nationwide and people can relate to the what I'm talking about but I don't shop there. I'm reading AAMCO (have no idea who they are) reads codes for free in CA.

Sure, MAF sensor, blocked pvc, head gasket, vacuum leak, ect., ect. Could be anything. Why take the chance? Your car wants to talk to you. ;)

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
648 Posts
maybe timing is off... check the spark plug placement or the belts, i would start it when it does run open the hood make sure theirs no wobbling in any of the belts i would check the cams or have some one check the cam positioning sensor as well maybe the fuel to....

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
Sounds like a fueling issue.
Yup. 2003 H6 -- fuel pump "cap" and o-ring popped?

OP doesn't mention if the Check Engine light has come on; I presume not. If not, then no codes to read.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
there is a known problem i have read about in the H6. it is referred to as a hiccup. the engine runs fiine and then it will just stutter for no reason. the solution has some thing to do witht the TPS or the IAC i can't remember.

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
Novablue is right, there isn't enough info to go on. But maybe I can spur some ideas on places to start checking. Every car needs fuel, air, and spark to run. Sputtering and hiccups mean the car is running, but not efficiently. Sounds to me like the car is missing (not firing on all cylinders.) When you changed the plugs, did you do the wires? I've heard of the o2 sensors being able to cause sputtering. Your OBDII ECU will store codes (if you haven't cleared them) since the last time your CEL came on. Even if the light isn't on, you might have a code stored....as for fuel delivery solutions, the pump should be replaced every so often, although I'm not sure when Subie requires this. I'm sure you can find this out with a search, though. What about fuel filter? Has it been changed?

I will iterate what I read by an earlier post - if it is sensor-based, such as o2 sensor or MAF, it will likely turn on your CEL. If the light didn't come on, or store a code, then you're looking at an easier mechanical problem, generally. (I say generally, because you might have a vacuum leak, and these can be hard to trace and may not throw your CEL.) That's when you start tracing the fuel, air, and spark delivery.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Incorrect cheapie spark plugs and wires from the local cheap mart auto store will cause this.
NGK plugs are a must for the subarus and high quality wires are a must or they in many cases won't even run.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
I just went through almost the same thing on my daughters 2000 Cavalier. Hard starts when warm and sometimes a miss or sputter when you really got on it. Cold starts were usually good but were getting consistently worse over time.

In our case though we had three codes: a misfire, a lean condition and the second o2 sensor. We did a tune up, replaced the fuel filter and o2 sensor with no change in the problem. I cleaned the TB, IAC solenoid and found a cracked vacuum hose leading to the MAP. I even checked for severe vacuum in the gas tank (it was fine). Still no change in the problem. We then took it in to a mechanic and they said it was the crank position sensor. So we replaced that and nope, the problem was still there.

We then decided to change out the fuel pump on a wing and a prayer (which turned out to be a royal pain in the rear end). The new pump fixed the problem and it's been running great ever since.

Most likely if I had the means/tool to test fuel pressure I would have found that it was a pump going bad early on instead of replacing all of those parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I just went out and bought my self a obd 2 scanner and it came up a camshaft positioning sensor. I would never guessed that really thanks everyone for ur opinons. Yea first forum I ever been on where someone wasnt a ass hole. Love the Subaru community

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
Yea I just went out and bought my self a obd 2 scanner and it came up a camshaft positioning sensor. I would never guessed that really thanks everyone for ur opinons. Yea first forum I ever been on where someone wasnt a ass hole. Love the Subaru community
whoa - while it could be a bad/intermittent sensor or it's wiring/connector, uh, I'm pretty sure that sensor's output is compared to the cam sensor and, if they disagree, it might mean slipped timing. That could get worse if not investigated soon. very weird

Did you clear the code? did it return immediately?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Good to hear! :roadtrip:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts