Subaru Outback Forums banner

Having Crazy Thoughts - Adding Another Subaru

693 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  fisherella 
Hey all.

G

I found a 2002 Outback close to me that had a recent head gasket and now needs an axle. The owner is getting married and is off to a newer car, so we could probably get it for $500. The only drawback about that one is that it's turbo. I think that may be a bit more hassle than I want to get into.

I'm keeping my eyes open though. These cars and opportunities are out there. I figure we'll have to do some of the usual things, rust proofing, suspension stuff, brakes, etc. Hopefully if meant to be it will happen. Advice and words of caution wholly welcomed. Best!
Its a scam if its on craigslist, there are no turbo outbacks in 2002, (impreza WRX maybe), but no outbacks (impreza sport, or legacy) of any kind. scammers in indonesia don't even know how to describe a subaru so they lump all the types over the years together.

Hi eagleeye. I could be mistaken actually. Somehow I've gotten to be under the impression that all Outbacks with the little hood scoop things are turbo and more PITA engines. Do straight H4s sometimes have the hood scoop? They didn't call it a turbo in the ad. I figured it was because of the hood. If it's not I should really go and check it out.
impreza outback sports have FAKE hood scoops,

these fake things were also on 1997-99 era legacy outbacks and legacy gts. (sitting on top of like the worst engine the company ever made = EJ25D)

post the ad up. (250 members, and 4000 poeple in the world looking,...so what).

I can't post the ad. It's on facebook. And actually I mixed up cars I was looking at, the cheap one with the bad axle is a 1999, I guess that means with the worst engine ever.
Are they really lost causes? Even freshly head gasketed? I guess we should stay with Gen 2.
EJ25D is the worst,

it depends upon if the head gasket was done in a timely manner, those also liked to toss main engine bearings, which weakens if the car overheated too often. a few people on here were very saddened to do head gaskets and then 3 weeks later need to do a main engine bearing, (which is another engine pull and major surgery,... for someone that may have very little money.

you should not be fishing in this end of the dirty end of the pool anyway. rust, problems, ... and even in great shape legacy / legacy outbacks earlier then 1999 did not drive that great anyway. (slow to respond despite their hp/ torque #s, and the rear suspension leaned a whole lot).

somewhere by kingston is someone selling parts on craigslist to a 1996,...the rear struts / springs busted through the body into the hatch.

if you want something old with a great old type EJ22 engine and no rust, here is one, a little pokey, but cheap:

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/96-subaru-legacy-sedan-1000/6256463080.html

here is a similar one notice the patch panels,...and twice the price:
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-subaru-legacy-sedan-auto/6299657208.html

I would not call these super safe things either, more like a rolling museum piece. old type EJ22 could roll 500,000 miles though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.