Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second time taking the front bumper plastic off to get to the headlights (hard wired a harness from the battery this time). However, for whatever reason I'm having a **** of a time getting everything snapped back together seamlessly. I don't recall having this issue the first time around. The top corner edge on both sides by the headlight, won't pop back into place. I'm not sure exactly why or what the orientation of the plastic tab needs to be. The service manual isn't any help either as the detail is too small for the illustration.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Is the out side temp cooler than the previous time? I found that the bumper cover being warm and more flexible seemed to really help make it easier to get it all worked back into place nicely

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
definitely warmer. I think it has something to do with the orientation of that plastic lip over the black subframe (cradles the headlight housing).

you can see in photo 1 (and some in photo 2) there's a piece of plastic that looks like it goes over something but I may be mistaken... gah. I will have to take it back apart later this weekend. Was hoping to have some ideas though before doing that.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[fixed]

Figured it out fairly quickly once I got the plastic back off.

The bumper plastic on the corner has a lip which fits in between the black plastic headlight housing frame.

When I had buttoned everything up the previous time I had fit things together too tightly and the black headlight subframe was fastened too close to the headlight itself and was causing binding issues with the bumper plastic.

Loosening the bolts, pulling it out (towards the front of the car) and retightening everything gave me the clearance I needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts