Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CEL on now....P0420

Hayes or Chilton's....we cannot find EITHER for our Subie! They keep saying they don't cover the 6 cylinder engine... :(

Anybody know where we can get one?

Thanks!!

Elle

·
Registered
288 Posts
There has got to be some online maunals out there somewhere.
Unfortunately my go to source for newer gen. EJ's ( BustedFingerMotorSports) no longer has them available.
Search through Google or perhaps a member here can help.
If you don't find anything, I at least have the engine section. PM me your e mail and I can send you that.

O.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I think they both suck! If you ever need to do anything, just come to these pages and ask..... you have the best resource for advices by many very qualified posters...plus the hands on experience on this forum!

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Osei,

That would be WONDERFUL!! I did try google.....I'm not sure what to do next.

PM coming.....thank you!!!!

I'm hoping somebody could get me a link...you guys know everything!

Elle

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Check this link. He has all of the FSMs available in PDF.

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they both suck! If you ever need to do anything, just come to these pages and ask..... you have the best resource for advices by many very qualified posters...plus the hands on experience on this forum!
I know....you guys have been great to us! I hate to keep asking, but we've always had Jeeps, so this car is new to us. I promise we're learning!!

Speaking of.....tonite driving home the Check Engine light came on.

sigh. I don't know what to do next.... :(

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I wish there were Bentley books for Subarus.

Robert Bentley technical publishers did service manuals for a few European brands, notably VW. They were some of the most beautifully produced, technically accurate manuals I've seen for anything. They hand-sharpened the photos with pen & ink, they used expensive paper & printing techniques, and you'd never find many margin notes in the old copies, because there were so few errors in the copy.

Haynes is a distant second in terms of quality, and Chilton's is just a disaster. Sometimes I think you'd do less damage to your Subaru if you just lit the Chilton's book on fire and chucked it in the back seat without a care.

·
Registered
288 Posts
... Speaking of.....tonite driving home the Check Engine light came on.

sigh. I don't know what to do next.... :(.

Go to an Auto store, they will read your codes for free, then report here as to what codes you get.

O.

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... Speaking of.....tonite driving home the Check Engine light came on.

sigh. I don't know what to do next.... :(.

Go to an Auto store, they will read your codes for free, then report here as to what codes you get.

O.
We did that this afternoon.....it's the P0420. :(

Oil change was done right before we picked the car up--new sticker in it. The car has been running rough, idling is not smooth, neither is acceleration. We've now put 2 full tanks of premium in her, having run about 300 miles in the 2 weeks since we've had her.

PCV Valve next maybe?

Elle

·
Registered
288 Posts
P0420 are the bain of the auto world. Most of the times it goes back to a bad front O2 sensor.
Do a search for P0420 and read the threads. Do the simple stuff first (cleaning or replacing pcv,making sure there are no exhaust leaks before the sensor, etc). If you have to replace the O2 get a direct fit from one of the three best mfgs ( Bosch, Denso and NGK ).

O.

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
P0420 are the bain of the auto world. Most of the times it goes back to a bad front O2 sensor.
Do a search for P0420 and read the threads. Do the simple stuff first (cleaning or replacing pcv,making sure there are no exhaust leaks before the sensor, etc). If you have to replace the O2 get a direct fit from one of the three best mfgs ( Bosch, Denso and NGK ).

O.
That's what we did.....read lots of threads about it, which kinda added to the confusion because there is SO much........

First we're going to do the pcv valve.....then the O2 sensor.

There's more than one in this car right? Is there just one in the front?

Elle

I think I found the answer.....it's just one in the front, correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts