Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one , I am new and this is my first post.I recently replaced the whole headlight assembly on driver's side 2006 Forrester. Once back together, I turned everything on, tested headlights and turn signals I noticed hazard lights flashing. Which contained after turning off the engine. Pulling fuse was only way to turn them off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone else had similar problem or suggestion how to resolve this? Removing fuse disables turn signals as well.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
Hello every one , I am new and this is my first post.I recently replaced the whole headlight assembly on driver's side 2006 Forrester. Once back together, I turned everything on, tested headlights and turn signals I noticed hazard lights flashing. Which contained after turning off the engine. Pulling fuse was only way to turn them off.

@plain OM @brucep etc. might be able to suggest something to check

I see this is a US model based on your IP. (if there are any changes from 2005- 2006-2007 in the diagrams).

and moved to electrical section.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Any chance you pushed in the Emergency Flasher switch? They are designed to run with the key off.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
The hazard lights are designed to work ANY time the switch is pressed. No matter what the condition of the light switch, key, etc.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
Yes, the Hazard (emergency 4-way flashers) Switch is the first thing to check.

Not clear on what fuse, when pulled, not only stopped the hazard flashers, but also disabled the turn signals. Usual Subaru set-up is the Hazards are powered by an always-powered fuse (engine compartment) whereas the turn signals are powered from a power source that's on only when the ignition switch is on. Pulling the fuse for the Hazards would disable the Hazards, but should not disable the turn signals, as long as the ignition is On, and the fuse for that circuit isn't blown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of the hazard switch first thing. I turned it on and off several times while car was running and it had no affect on the hazards.i am thinking it might have something to do with my replacing the driver side headlight assembly just before all this. If the hazard lights and turn signals work separately why are the turn signals not working at all?

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
When you replaced the headlight assembly, what else did you have to do (or just did) to do the work (e.g., disconnecting other wiring)? (In earlier generations, if the battery was disconnected, then when reconnected the external bulbs would flash continuously. I don't think this applies to 2006 models, but I'm wondering if something like this, e.g., something security-related could be involved.)

When the ignition is Off, there normally should be no power to any exterior bulb and, therefore, no power that could, perhaps, be feeding back to the shared turn/hazard signal bulbs and wiring that would keep the hazards running when the hazard switch is also Off. Nevertheless, are the hazard/turn signal bulbs part of the headlight assembly on that Forester? If so, then perhaps try disconnecting all the wiring to that headlight assembly (thereby isolating it) and see if the hazards stop running on their own. That would isolate the problem to the new assembly.

Also, can you better describe exactly which fuse is being removed that stops the hazards from flashing on their own? There are numerous circuits that are inter-connected, one being the hazards and the keyless entry. On the Outback, the hazards/turn signal bulbs are flashed when the keyless entry is used to lock or unlock the doors; Is it the same with the 2006 Forester? If it is, then if there's a fault in the keyless entry, it could be causing the hazard/turn signal bulbs to flash independent of the Hazard switch.

And just to be sure, is this is a North American, 2006 Forester?

Oh, and incidentally, is the car fairly new to you, or have you had it for a long time? It's happened before, so . . . the Hazard switch is the one on the dashboard with the triangle on it, not the switch on top of the steering column (behind the steering wheel).

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
I was hoping the "Hazards" weren't actually blinking and I could give the OP grief about accidentally turning on the "virgin" switch on top of the steering column. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Thank you all very much. I can't believe I am so stupid . I tore the front end of my favorite car off twice. The triangular switch on the dash and not on the stearing column operates the hazard lights. I have owned this car for 12 years.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
Well Thank you all very much. I can't believe I am so stupid . I tore the front end of my favorite car off twice. The triangular switch on the dash and not on the stearing column operates the hazard lights. I have owned this car for 12 years.
the one on the top of the collum for the fog lights here is sometimes called the "virgin switch."

plenty of threads started by someone hitting it with a book/purse, watch, coat sleeve,
and then wondering why the fog lights will not go out.

edit: as I just noticed @DavidPeab typed of

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I guess the good thing is that you have never had to use that switch!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Flashers won't stop flashing! 07 Outback

I'm having similar flasher issue (07 Subaru Outback Wagon). I had the Airbag recall/replacement done months ago, shortly after realized my emergency flashers didn't work (when a dog was in the road). The Airbag light also goes on and off at times (no idea why it happens when it does). I tried using the flashers again about a week ago (still didn't work/go on)… now a week later the flashers came on while I was driving (the button to turn them on is in the off position) and they won't go off!!! Took the (blue 15 fuse third down from the top right side) and they go off with the fuse out, but then the car can Not be shifted into gear to drive.

I've also tried the you tube suggestions of turn the ignition switch on/off 5 times, (no luck) and also disconnected the negative battery terminal and turn car off/on as suggested in you tube video. Seems as long as the fuse is in the flashers flash!
Any suggestions?
Do you think it's related to when they replaced the recalled airbag (that's when the issues seemed to start).

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
@1 Firehorse

Airbag light: See: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/42574-2006-obw-airbag-light-my-fix.html

now a week later the flashers came on while I was driving (the button to turn them on is in the off position)
How do you know the button is in the off position? I have an 07, and there's no way of knowing the position of the Hazard switch other than seeing all the turn signal bulbs (i.e., 4-way emergency lights) flashing.

The hazard switch has a red/orange triangle on it, and is located to the upper right of the radio. No to be confused with the Parking Lights switch on the top of the steering column, forward of the steering wheel.

It's possible that when the airbag was replaced, the Hazard switch wasn't reconnected securely. That might have led to the flashers not working when first tried. But if the switch was left in the On position, which can't be verified if the lights don't work, and the connection was made (e.g. due to vibration), that could lead to the flashers suddenly appearing on their own.

[Not sure which fuse you removed. Is that in the cabin fuse panel? Each fuse is identified on page 12-6 of your Owners Manual. There's also number markings on the fuse panel next to each fuse. (See attached)]

Edit: Looking at the wiring diagrams, that fuse must be in the engine compartment fuse box; fuse #14, 15 Amps, that powers the BIU, turn signals/hazards, and key warning switch. Removing the fuse will prevent the gear shifter from being moved from P.

But there's still the question of whether or not the Hazard switch is off. . .

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having similar hazard flasher issue (07 Subaru Outback Wagon). I had the Airbag recall/replacement done months ago, shortly after realized my emergency flashers didn't work (when a dog was in the road). The Airbag light also goes on and off at times (no idea why it happens when it does). I tried using the flashers again about a week ago (still didn't work/go on)… now a week later the flashers came on while I was driving (the button to turn them on is in the off position) and they won't go off!!! Took the (blue 15 fuse third down from the top right side) and they go off with the fuse out, but then the car can Not be shifted into gear to drive.

I've also tried the you tube suggestions of turn the ignition switch on/off 5 times, (no luck) and also disconnected the negative battery terminal and turn car off/on as suggested in you tube video. Seems as long as the fuse is in the flashers flash!
Any suggestions?
Do you think it's related to when they replaced the recalled airbag (that's when the issues seemed to start).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts