Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: 2000 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon Automatic with security system and one functioning keyless remote.

Problem: Four-way flashers (high filaments, top yellow bulbs) continuously flash as long as the battery is connected. Key in or out. Hazard switch on or off. I can only turn them off by disconnecting the flasher, but then the turn signals (same bulbs) do not function. Don't want to drive without turn signals.

Park lights work normally. Car starts and runs normally.

What I have tried: (Suspecting the problem is related to the security system):

Depress disarm button on remote (unlocks doors, but has no effect on continuously blinking hazard lights).

Cycle Master ignition key from lock to on several times in a few seconds - no effect.

Turn ignition key to "ON" disconnect either + or - battery terminal for 20+ seconds, then re-connect terminal without moving key - no effect

Connected white connector under sill panel to enter Valet mode trying above fixes - no effect.

Looked for button under dash, did not find one. Believe this fix refers to an older system - pre-1999. According to another thread - 2000 uses Alpine security system.

History: I am working on restoring this neat old car. Bought it last winter with a blown engine thought to be head gaskets. Turned out to be spun rod bearings and a bent connecting rod. Rebuilt the engine over the winter and just got it back in the car this week. When first started, got battery and brake light. Replaced alternator and lights went away. Problem appeared after cleaning the interior but cannot imagine what I might have done. Maybe I bumped the hazard switch on. But cycling the switch does not turn the lights off. Beginning to suspect that perhaps it could be a bad four-way flasher switch. The car has sat outside for 9 months so maybe the switch contacts became corroded or some brittle plastic gave way.

I had the same problem when I rebuilt another outback, a 98 or 99, but in that case, just pressing the disarm button on the remote fixed it. I cannot remember which lights were blinking on that car though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't drive it the way it is.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
We call it the rookie button. Top of the steering console is a toggle switch if you bump it by mistake it will turn the side markers on.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
We call it the rookie button. Top of the steering console is a toggle switch if you bump it by mistake it will turn the side markers on.

But it usually doesn't make them flash.

Have you tried disconnecting the hazard switch?

The hazard switch provides a ground when closed. A short to ground anywhere in the wire between the switch and the flasher would cause the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
The symptoms are reminiscent of the security system after the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, but you seem to have done about all there is to stop the flashing, if it were this cause.

The idea that the hazard (4-way) flasher switch is defective would seem to be worth pursuing, if at the least to get the possibility out of the way. I believe there's a connector at the back of the switch that could be pulled.

There's not much more that can cause all the turn signal lights to flash.

Let us know what you find. . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:headslap: Problem fixed. It WAS the rookie switch that got me. I thought that park light switch was the hazard lamp switch. When I read your replies, and my own comment "after cleaning the interior" I realized that the switch I thought was the hazard lamp switch might not be, and that I should look elsewhere for a hazard lamp switch I might have inadvertently depressed. Sure enough, there it was right in the middle of the dash. Well, at least I didn't have to drive it to the dealer in Des Moines. Duh! Not my proudest moment.

But, I did come to the right place and appreciate the comments that made me look for something simple. I was making a very simple problem much too difficult. Glad to have it fixed.

And thanks much Gentlemen, for getting me on the right track.

(The funny thing is, I must have spent 30 minutes studying the owner's manual section on security system. Maybe I should have spent one minute looking at the explanation of the dashboard switches!):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill Buttermore...There truly are some great folks here with lots of knowledge and experience. Wish you much happiness in your new Subie!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts