Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me "unfreeze" the touch screen on my radio when it says "HD Channel Unavailable"? I have searched the Forums and got "0" results.

I have a used 2015 Outback with the basic radio (i.e. no Nav). When the radio is searching for an FM station, it sometimes stops and a screen comes up stating "HD Channel Unavailable". This freezes the touch screen. I cannot change stations, cannot revert to a previous screen....nothing. I can turn the radio off with the knob. To try and reset the radio, I have turned off the ignition, removed the fuse for the radio and nothing works. My Owners Manual says that the condition will go away "when the received station is changed". But the frozen touch screen prevents me from changing the station.
This happened once before and only corrected itself when I drove to an area where the HD channel was available. This is useless when you are spending time at the cottage where HD channels are apparently not available. I cannot use the radio at all until I return to civilzation.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First of all, I am a rookie at posting photos, so I hope they are uploaded successfully.

OK, I solved the problem of the frozen touch screen while searching for an HD radio station. I found an audio diagnostic procedure in my Outback Shop Manual. So here goes:

1. Turn ignition key to ACC.
2. Press the audio knob to "Audio Off" and the Audio Off screen appears:
3. Touch the corners of the Audio Off screen in the following order: top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right.
4. Then the Diagnostic Screen appears:
5. Touch the "Audio Check" tab at the bottom and the "Audio Check" screen appears.

When my radio was frozen looking for an HD station, the "AM/FM Seek UP" tab showed "Stop". So I touched "Stop" and the radio immediately operated normally.

This seems like a very complicated procedure to go through every time the radio freezes while it is searching for an HD station in an area where there is no HD radio reception.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts