Subaru Outback Forums banner

head bolts question

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  idosubaru 
#1 ·
2007 forester that looks well maintained. recent head gasket replacement (felpro multi layer), but original head bolts. Other work has also been done, does not use oil, reportedly and appears to have the non CVT trans.

How concerned should I be about not having put in new head bolts?

#3 ·
Everything I've seen here on headgasket replacement suggests that reusing head bolts is fine, at least once. The 2005 Outback Factory Service Manual doesn't suggest replacing them either when reassembling heads (it does say to use a new gasket, obviously.

Not done it myself, although I do need to get my headgaskets done.

#7 ·
Thanks. I did just look up the Fel-Pro head gasket and it says "head bolt replacement required". That, of course, concerns me. Most of the "gasket only" offerings on RockAuto also state that, but I think they are all of the MLS type.

Perhaps I should not take a chance on this one?

#10 ·
Although if it's a 2007 normally aspirated 2.5i, the reason the headgaskets were done is that it's a Subaru 2007 normally aspirated 2.5i.

The head resurfacing is probably important, but if they put MLS gaskets on it, they likely had some idea of what they were doing.

#11 ·
Zero.

Fel-pro's comments about headbolts is a one-size-fits-all comment with little merit. The Subaru standard of not replacing the bolts is perfectly fine. Numerous Subaru speciality shops and the dealers don't replace the headbolts.

If I did ever install new headbolts, which I haven't, I certainly wouldn't use Fel-Pro supplied bolts.

I'd look more into which shop did the work - the more reputable and/or Subaru experienced they are the better I'd feel about it.

Did it get new timing belt and pulleys during the job?

#12 ·
Zero.

Fel-pro's comments about headbolts is a one-size-fits-all comment with little merit. The Subaru standard of not replacing the bolts is perfectly fine. Numerous Subaru speciality shops and the dealers don't replace the headbolts.

If I did ever install new headbolts, which I haven't, I certainly wouldn't use Fel-Pro supplied bolts.

I'd look more into which shop did the work - the more reputable and/or Subaru experienced they are the better I'd feel about it.

Did it get new timing belt and pulleys during the job?
Thanks for all the reassurance about the head bolts.

He says timing belt and water pump were replaced. I'd assume the pulleys also, having gone that far, but will check.

What do you have against the Fel-Pro bolts? Other than being so expensive?

I hear some say it is critical to surface the heads others just say checking for warp with a straight edge and feeler gauges is good enough, and maybe check the valves. For me, as long as the head surfaces look "pretty good" and there is no warp, I might just lap the valves and replace the stem seals. Never did a Subaru, but I have had shops completely hose up aluminum heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.