Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 OTBK 5MT, 2014 OTBK 6MT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I have a 99 outback 2.5, EJ25D, 5 spd manual. The head gaskets went out about 2 weeks ago, pulled the motor to do the repair. I was using a 1/2 inch breaker bar about 3 feet long with a 12 pt deep well 14 mm socket to break the torque on the head bolts. I actually had one 14 mm socket break while trying to get them to break torque, I heard a snapping sound as if the the socket turned on itself, so it had jumped to the next tang inside the socket head. The camshafts are out so I have a direct access to the bolts. The tops of the bolts are a green paint, all of them

Question is should I use an impact wrench to break the torque or am I missing another avenue to get them free.

Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,564 Posts
Do not impact them: you are likely to take the threads with you.

The snapping sound is pretty normal. It's the sound of the washer and threads breaking contact with the aluminum head and threads. They will usually snap/pop a few times before letting go and get easy to turn.

Support the head of the breaker bar while cranking. You will likely have to pull against the engine/engine stand while cranking. You avoid bending the bolt this way.

Make sure you LIGHTLY oil the threads and underhead surface when reassembling. This prevents the popping/snapping and giving you a false torque and yield reading.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,564 Posts
awesome to have roughdiamond around for info like this!
At least my experience is good for something... lol

Acquired by blood, tears, or sweat: experience is experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts