Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT w/Remote Engine Starter, Fog Lights & Auto-dimming Mirror w/Compass
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 2.5i Outback has about 126k miles and last week my wife had to make any emergency stop because of flashing lights (AC, cruise, temp, etc) and white fume coming out of the hood. We towed the car to the dealer and are told that the fumes are due to engine heating and it is related to a head gasket issue. They recommend changing spark plugs and engine and was quoted $3600. They say my car is due for spark plug replacement.

Do y'all recommend a second opinion from a different shop/dealer?

When I researched online for engine replacement I see a cost of around $2500. What do y'all think is a good price?

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 3.6R limited. 2006 Wrx Limited
118 Posts
I've done a few gaskets on these. Find a good independent mechanic. 126 miles is not worth replacing an engine if it's just gaskets. I think I did my entire engine, head gaskets, head milling and timing belt for 3 or 400 dollars, and that had 190k on it. 230k on it now and still going.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,173 Posts
They recommend changing spark plugs and engine ...... They say my car is due for spark plug replacement.
Sorry, not being insensitive to your situation but that's just hilarious to me.
As much trouble as it is to have the car moved, you don't want that shop doing the work.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,128 Posts
to be fair to the Subaru dealer, it is my experience that they will recommend services that are due if they do not have a service history on it. the reason they would recommend plugs is that often times when a HG fails coolant gets into the combustion chamber and works on the plugs...

·
Registered
Looking....and looking....and looking...and found! 2011 Outback 2.5i, 6-speed manual.
36 Posts
Wait, the dealer that recommended replacing the motor suggested replacing the spark plugs? Really? I think the new motor would come with those.....

Seriously, get that car to one of the local independent service places. Got to be less expensive than that dealer quote.

Just completed my own head gasket job in my garage. $400 in parts, around $250 in tools I didn't already have(engine stand, crane, load leveler) and my Covid time to get it done. Not hard to do, just a bit of challenge to find time and space.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,558 Posts
Head gasket job will solve the problem. Get a couple of quote from dealers or indie garages that know what they are doing. It can be done for far less than $2500.00 too. Insist that they remove the engine to do the work that way you know they can get at everything properly to do a good job. The engine was removed when I had my HGs done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts