Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 outback 2.5 auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 subaru outback limited 2.5 blew all the coolant out the fill of the degas tank and coolant in the oil. Our temporary fix was to refill and drive home about 5 miles with out any more problems. Our permanant fix was a 2013 Kia soul without the hampsters. Now i have a car we have had since new which owes us nothing and a 15 year old daughter that will be driving in less than a year. What do you think the internal damage is from the coolant? My plan would be a compression test, remove engine and replace head gaskets and timing kit or install reman engine or install a salvage engine with new head gaskets and timing kit.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
and coolant in the oil.
this is very very rare for the typical '02 head gasket failure.
but of course it is possible.

it you do have coolant in the oil i would look for a different engine. coolant will eat up your bearings.

how ever, if there is no coolant in the oil then i would do the gaskets and timing belt and drive on, if the miles are not too high. if the compression is good i would definitely re-use the engine.

if the compression is low or the miles are too high, i would consider a replacement engine. but you will still need to do the timing belt, and probably the head gaskets. as one mechanic stated, ''with engine out and the timing belt off, the head gaskets are just another 6 bolts per side.'' this is not absolutely true for the ej25 sohc, but it is not too far off.

·
Registered
2002 outback 2.5 auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The milage 129000. When i pulled the dipstick the other night it was covered in the nasty cream colored emulsion. This morning i pulled the stick, wiped and pulled again and nothing at all. There has been an external oil leak from the pass. side head gasket for aleast 40000 miles. ( yes the head gasket and not the valve cover gasket. We add a qt every 750-1000 miles and all was good ) Well i added 3 qts to bring it to the full mark so we lost oil and coolant as well as some coolant in the oil. Wife did not see the oil light or temp light when this happened nor did i see them when i drove it the last 5 miles to home. So i have run it this morning and it sounds normal, just a larger oil leak from the head now. The only caveat is the oil has been amsoil since the first oil oil change. I am going to do the compression check this afternoon when my neighbor gets back. Just had a brain fart, i am going to go see if there is any bubbling in the radiator. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2002 outback 2.5 auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i skipped the compression test because when revved up it was bubbling in the radiator and the exhaust looked like a fog machine.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
Just get a new engine from the sound of it to fix the one in there is gonna be about the same if not more than a replacement

·
Registered
2002 outback 2.5 auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since i have time on my side with the new car purchase i will pull the engine, disassemble to see the amount of damage and most likely get a salvage yard engine. i can wait for warmer weather. The sad part is we are on school vacation in 1 week and i was going to pull the engine and do head gaskets, timing belt kit, water pump, cv joints and other misc items. the parts are in the garage just waiting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts