Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the heads up nipper...I'll get that set and use my MLS head gaskets from Subaru...on to the timing kit....Asin |W/P or GMB???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok....we are figuring out how to handle this repair...is 180miles too many to have a reliable car for the next 200K with the head gasket and timing components replaced...or would it be better to grab a JDM engine with approx 50miles and do the head gaskets on that motor???

thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback
134 Posts
ok....we are figuring out how to handle this repair...is 180miles too many to have a reliable car for the next 200K with the head gasket and timing components replaced...or would it be better to grab a JDM engine with approx 50miles and do the head gaskets on that motor???

thanks guys!!
So, let me make sure I am reading this right: you have 180K and you're looking to get another 200K (for total of 380K) out of it?

That might be pushing it, even for a Subie. I think with a *complete* rebuild and good gaskets, 200K is reasonable. But, not for just timing belt, pulleys, and HGs on an engine with 180K.

Just my $0.02...

Good luck,
Wally

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we are deciding on the best approach to make this car last a few years...it never goes further than 100 miles from home, but is a DD...just don't wanna do this job twice...but with our limited income the least expensive route is also in play...hope this explains my post better...and thanks for your input!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
let me chime in... I've got 275k miles on mine and I'm about ready to replace head gaskets - IMO my Subbie should make it to the 400k mark easy with regular maintenance... just my 02 cents...

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Not to steal a thread, but 275K on the original rings, then a new HG, you may end up with blowby. Also do a compression test first wet and dry to see what condition the seal of those rings make is in.

That is a lot of miles for a engine to get a new HG.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
not to steal so I started a new thread...
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well...the old motor is out...it has the EGR on the intake...new motor doesn't have that...any help on what to do would be appreciated....thanks folks!!

I figured out what I need to do...need a drill-bit size and the tread count/pitch...thanks!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it took a bit of time....but the engine is now in the car...most stuff bolted up....just gotta hook up fuel and install the rad...is good I have an '89 Cressida and a '95 Powerstroke to keep this place goin'...hopin' to fire it up Monday...my back needs a few days betwixt jobs....;))

1 - 14 of 14 Posts