Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Graphite Gray Metallic with power moonroof, Auto dim rear view mirror & home link, Backup camera and Media hub
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to local Subaru dealer for electrical parking brake recall last Friday. The service manager came back and told me that our electrical Parking brake motor will be replaced under warranty. However, he also told me that i have gasket leak. It is really suspicious to me since I did not see coolant level drop in my Subaru outback (2011 2.5i limited). I did not ask for any inspection on my vehicle since I do all the maintenance by myself. I don't think they even did the proper testing for gasket leak since the engine is hot and they only spent 10 min or so on my vehicle. I will watch the coolant level more carefully from now on. It will be really disappointed if i found out that the service manager at out local dealer try to trick customer for this expensive service.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Graphite Gray Metallic with power moonroof, Auto dim rear view mirror & home link, Backup camera and Media hub
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. He told me that the water hose is tight, but the engine is running. I don't feel any difference when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-2x 2.5i N/A M/T
80 Posts
I'm not saying you don't have a leak.... but his reasoning is BS, if that was his only explanation.

If the radiator cap is functioning properly, then the max pressure inside the coolant hoses will be the same whether you have a leak or not. If You had a leak bad enough to overcome the radiator cap, your expansion tank would sound like a volcano.

If they just looked a few minutes and he came to that conclusion, I'm guessing they saw oil around the bottom of the gasket while looking the car over.

I would ask them for clarification. So are they offering to do that work under warranty also? Or they are just telling you that it needs to be done?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bruce! My Outback engine bay is very clean, both top and bottom. I did not see any oil leak. They told me that the gasket needs to be replaced, but not under warranty ($3,500 or so). My son drove it back to school yesterday. I left one gallon of coolant in the Outback just in case. He will check the coolant level before he drives it back for Christmas.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,543 Posts
He [service manager] told me that the water hose is tight, but the engine is running.
Usually, when they make stuff up, it's at least half plausible. These words make absolutely no sense to me for the service that is being pushed here - is he stating that there is visible coolant leak but that it's not coming out of a hose connection?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R limited. 2006 Wrx Limited
40 Posts
Usually, when they make stuff up, it's at least half plausible. These words make absolutely no sense to me for the service that is being pushed here - is he stating that there is visible coolant leak but that it's not coming out of a hose connection?
In some cases, the exhaust will pressurize the coolant system and force coolant past the cap and into the overflow, filling the bottle. This is how I know I had to do head gaskets.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for the inputs. I forgot to mention that I checked the engine oil level. It is close to the low end. Our Outback started to burn oil after 80k miles. I just need to add half Quart between oil changes. I might buy a gasket testing kit to check the vehicle when my son comes home next time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I'm with you guys, that explanation sounds like BS. I see more head gasket leaks and perform more replacement due to oil leaks than coolant issues. Leaking coolant or failure pressurizing the system is a more serious issue. If his explanation is accurate, performing a hydrocarbon test will determine for sure if he's accurate or blowing hot air. Pretty cheap to pick up a test kit from amazon or the autoparts store. If you're concerned and rather then lugging around a jug of coolant, might be worth picking up.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
349 Posts
BS on the 'tight' hose, it should be tight or firm with the engine hot. Easy enough to check, with a spill proof funnel, or one of the chemical HC Coolant test kits, maybe $35, if you want to be sure.

Keep an eye on the coolant, which should just about be due for a cooling system flush, given the year, if you haven't already performed one. Just be sure to add a bottle of the Subaru Conditioner (sealer, aka Holts Radweld rebadged), which is required on refill. Coolant leak, would go into the oil (milky goo inside the oil cap), exhaust into the coolant (HC present), or external (oil/coolant seeping between head & block).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys! I just ordered these two items from Amazon for test and quick fix if it works.

• Block Tester BT-500 Combustion Leak Test Kit
  • K-Seal ST5501 Multi Purpose One Step Permanent Coolant Leak Repair

·
Registered
8 Posts
K-Seal is pretty good stuff. The Subaru OEM is available off amazon also for cheaper. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2013 OBL 2.5
19 Posts
You might want to 'try tightening your hose clamps - upper and lower. I do this all the time on my other cars as they tend to work themselves loose a bit over time. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How many miles does the Outback have? If it's nearing the 100k mark odds are increasing greatly that there is a head-gasket leak. Is there another Subaru dealer nearby you can get a 2nd opinion?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts