Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 2004 outback ltd sedan 2.5, both sides are leaking oil. Do any of the additives that you ad to oil help? Products like 'Dura Seal" @ $ 53.00 for 8oz.claim to stop the leak. Nice car that hardly gets driven and don't fell like spending the !000.00 that I was qouted for the repair which includes, oem head gaskets, timing belt, and water pump,:mad:

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
How badly is it leaking?

If you don't have to add oil between changes you could just divert the oil away from the exhaust...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oil leak

Not bad at all, dont even notice it on dipstick when checking oil. Just a drop or two but enough for one to smell it in the car.The product " Dura Seal" claims they sell 100 bottles a week to Subaru owners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
leak

Definately not, thats exactly what I was hoping, but after putting iy on the hoist I can clearly see its leaking from the head and not the valve cover:confused:

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
The HG's are metal all the stop oil leak vodoo products are designed to swell rubber gaskets. So your either looking at doing clean up once in a while and keeping a close eye on oil levels or pull the trigger and do the HG.

However like I said have someone who knows subaru engines make sure its not the Valve Covers!!! Given your cars age puts it right square in the leaky valve cover territory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oil leak

Thanks so much for the info. Ive called the Subaru dealer and my cost for all parts ( head gaskets, water pump, timing belt and a few minor pieces total $ 380.00, and the shop I deal with is saying 8 hours @ 65.00 per hour, I know thats cheap considering , so I think Im going to pick up parts tomorrow. Total is going to be about $ 1,000.00, Again thanks for replying its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
use the Subaru EJ25 Turbo headgasket, do not use the nonturbo EJ25 headgasket they give you. much better headgasket that won't leak again if it's done right. the EJ25 turbo engines have zero headgasket issues - use it regardless of folks that say otherwise and don't know what they're talking about. the dealer might not even know this.

make sure they resurface the heads. the non turbo's are never warped or problematic and a pressure test is a waste of time even if the machine shop says "we won't warranty it without a test" - just decline it, there's no need to test something that's known to be good, they're just covering themselves. the heads do have high and low spots that are quite significant and should be machined on an engine that eats headgaskets.

that engine also requires Subaru Coolant Conditioner, pikc up a bottle of that as well when you're there.

you are wise not to use the bottle additives for the oil leak.

all this being said - this generation oil leaks get worse very slowly. you can literally drive them 100,000 miles...they'll be much worse by then obviously but you're traveling the right route to repair them. good luck!

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
I never have faith with those "Miracle-in-a-bottle" solutions. If you can afford the fix, why not? She'll go another 100,000 miles if the job is done right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts