Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered a OEM head gasket for my 2009 Outback 2.5l non turbo from Ebay. Description says it fits my car, so I ordered it.
Looking up the part number 11044AA642

When I search this part number, I read it for motors up to 2005, then I see some websites showing for newer and a place that shows my year.. The years this part number fits is all over the place..
What year is this gasket for really? Is it a better gasket for my car? Am I ok to use it? Listing says it's a upgraded version from the other part number..?

Bent valves is why I'm replacing the head gasket. The old gasket is in near new condition, but it looks to be original, just in excellent condition. Single layer metal with dark gasket layer covering both sides. Car was well taken car of and has 213k miles on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I also heard there is a updated torque sequence and torque value that was updated within the past couple years? If I use this gasket? What torque procedure do I use? Old one or new one or?
Getting very confusing and this gasket needs to be installed properly or I can damage my engine and I don't have time or money to mess around, but the internet search in not being helpfull at all trying to figure this out...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The 642 gasket is actually OE for the EJ255/257 (turbo motors), but is used commonly as an upgrade over the 633 (the OE for the 253, your motor). Factory MLS gasket and an extremely low failure rate make for an attractive option. Sellers like to add-in the non-turbo motors just gain sales. Take the eBay application listings with a grain of salt; they are purely entered by the seller. I'd trust the Subaru listings most of all, even though they aren't always flawless.

As for the torque sequence, it hasn't changed for your purposes. There have been modified sequences some people like to use, but this generation of SOHC engines didn't have the issue of blowing gaskets internally. It really only applied to the early 25D and 205 motors. Stick with what your FSM states, you'll have no issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thank you, that makes sense. So it's more of a community upgrade rather then a Subaru upgrade. The way it's mentioned in the listing makes it sound like Subaru upgraded a old part to something that works better.

Since I'm not getting these heads resurfaced, just cleaning them. Should this gasket be a good option for me? I ask because these are pure metal surface and the original ones I pulled of, though single layer, there is some type of black finish over the whole gasket.
I've heard a few people even mentioning putting gasket sealer on them which I think would do more harm then good, but I also don't ever replace head gaskets, until now.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
These should be fine. They have a sealing compound around the liquid areas (the gray lines) which should forgive most surface impurities. If you didn't have overheating or other odd issues before, you should be good.

The all-black coating is also not Subaru OE. I'd say someone may have had those replaced before. The all-black surface/coating is typically a sign of cheaper gaskets (Evergreen).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
RoughDiamond
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing