Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Are the newer 2.5's prone to having head gasket problems too like the older models and Foresters?

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
I think its more of a minor nuisance anymore rather than a real problem. I've heard very few cases of head gasket problems with the newer 2.5's. I think theres still a small problem, but overall it has been corrected for the most part. As you're looking at a 2005, I'd have no worries ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Head Gasker Problems

Rivalred said:
Are the newer 2.5's prone to having head gasket problems too like the older models and Foresters?
Thanks Hero.

is the 2005 2.5 a phase II engine still?

****... I know nothing about Subaru's... LOL

Registered
Hi,

I also am looking at a used Outback. I am looking at a 2000-2001 and the head gasket problem really worries me. Do these cars have the problem the older ones did ? Is there a 100k extended warantee from the factory covering these problems. I did think I read something about this a while ago. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

Cape Cod

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Called a salesman today and he transfered me to service. I talked to them about the potential problems with the 2.5's and he stated that in late 2003 they changed out headgasket materials and it seemed to fix the problem.

Also, the models between 99-02 or something like that with the coolant conditioner. They used it because the coolant was too corrosive and was eating away head gaskets.... Did the conditioner change the pH of the coolant?

So it seems too early to tell if the 04/05 have the same problems.

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
Phase I engines were the DOHC in general.
Phase II engines are generally the SOHC ones

2.5 liter flat four of course. Brian

Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L
Service guy at my dealer did tell me that the conditioner that they add for the recall helps seal small leaks and adjusts the pH. Warranty on the headgasket is then good for 100k miles, and 8 years I believe.

I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
Subaru fixed the problem halfway through 2003 with a redesigned (thicker?) gasket, so those of us with late 03 and up models should be OK

Registered
2000 Outback Wagon
I have the 2000 Outback Wagon. I drove round trip (246) miles to let them put in the protectorant (recall) at my dealer. Took about 15 minutes. I did this so I was assured of the 100K warranty that goes with it.

While I was there, I bought another bottle of the protectorant for future coolant change and the price came to $1.48.

Good insurance. Glad they have got the newer ones fixed to prevent any more recalls. I love my Subaru.

Registered
I have major problem and I need someone's advice asap. I blew the head gasket on my '01' Outback Legacy last week and according to the dealer, they will only fix outer leaks on the head gasket. Mine, of course, is an inner leaker and is not covered by their 'recall'.

I don't want to go though this crap again, and my mechanic has been calling all over to see if there's a perfomance (i.e. a multilayered steel) head gasket, but he can't find any. He did say that the Impreza has one, but that's a different phase engine and I'm pretty sure that it won't fit. Meanwhile, my car, which I have to drive a lot as part of my job, is sitting.

I hate to put another factory gasket in there, because the same thing could happen again and cost me another $1500 to fix.
LIZARD, I'm a fellow Columbusite, HELP!! ANYBODY??

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
For starters I'd try a different dealer, if they give the same story get onto Subaru of America and complain bitterly, it might be that they will help you out to prevent bad PR.

Cheers,

Karl

Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
I have a 98 with the Phase 1 engine, he has an 01 with a Phase 2, and we seem to have the same problem.

Did you have exhaust blowing into the cooling system and pushing the coolant out?

I am shopping for a completely different engine, a 99 if I can manage it. I will write to CCR today and see what they have to offer. I also want to check with the local salvage yards, but that would probably be a no-warranty deal.

Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
My OBW's manufactured date is 08/99, so it is 99' or 00' model?? The engine run OK at the moment with 110K km on the clock. I didn't hear this problem in Australia or ours imported from Japan?

Registered
Thanks to Jondahar, Kmwar, and the smartest Lizard in Columbus, Ohio. I had to rent a car, so I'm going to do the following: My mechanic has already received OEM parts from a Subaru dealer. He also has found a place that sells performance parts (Philo?) and they will mail a performance gasket to him that they say fits. He will look at two and we'll have the best one put in. In answer to Lizard's question, I am blowing exhaust out of my muffler, so it's a definite internal head gasket leak.

Tokyo's between my toes
You mean blowing coolant out the muffler? No white smoke here, my leaking shows up as foaming and overflowing coolant.

Tokyo's between my toes
*G* upon FM Green's request, I edited the thread title to fix the typo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts