Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this forum is a little quiet, let's shake it up !

I have read on various Suby newsgroups and webpages that the EJ25 Phase 1 DOHC engine is prone to headgasket failure. I once had a friend who wanted to buy a 2nd Gen Liberty/Legacy 2.5 RX, and the headgasket blew during the test drive ! Needless to say, he didn't buy it !

However, at least in Australia, I know of no one with a Phase 2 SOHC EJ25 who has had headgasket problems.

Has anyone suffered that problem with the Phase 2 SOHC engine ?

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
I read elsewhere that a German(IIRC) magazine had recorded a rate of 8:1 for Pahse 1 vs Phase 2 2.5l HG failure. And evidently the PH 2 is usually an external coolant leak aggravated by cold. I think Emily at www.ccrengines.com even posted some pics of the exact area on the HG that fails. These are open deck engines and evidently the jugs shift around enough with, I dunno, thermal creep or vibration or something to corrupt the HG seal. Plenty of folks over at www.usmb.net and on the usenet group have seen these issues. Although, due perhaps to some unusual design decisions with coolant flow out of the top of the rad. and a heater core positioned rather high, plus some bad rad. caps or owners inattentive to low coolant levels, air can easily be entrained (and is tricky to remove) leading to confusion as to what actually leads to HG failures. Personally, I intend to watch my soob(s) coolant levels VERY closely and peremptorily replace rad caps every 30-50k miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you have any idea, how to prevent it from happening again?
Reason: My 97 Outback (German model) blew its head gaskets at around 65.000 km early in 2001.
Subaru repaired it, but how can we prevent it from happening again?

greetings
Arne

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
THAT Sir is a great question - supposedly Subaru has been continuosly improving the gaskets, including the replacement sets, so, perhaps if your car was repaired recently you have the most updated version of HGs. I'd try posting this question at www.usmb.net also as there are some Subaru techs that monitor those boars and maybe they could tell you what's up with the replacement gasket part numbers, then compare that to the partnumbers your mechanic used. Just have a discussion with you dealership/mechanic. It probably is unreasonable to expect Subaru to gaurantee the HGs forever, but it certainly is a black eye on their reputation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The repair was early 2001. I'm not sure if the mechanics still have some info about it. But I will ask them anyways.
However, I haven't had any problems related to the HG after the replacement.

greetings
Arne

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys, this is interesting. I directly e-mailed my Subaru dealer (Makin and Luby) asking them if any Australian owners had suffered headgasket problems with the EJ25. I also copied and pasted the USA recall program document that 1LuckyTexan posted to alt.autos.subaru.

This is their reply :

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the email.
There have been a few occasions with head gasket failure on the quad cam 2.5 engine
and a couple of single cam engines also over the last few years.
As far as i'm aware there was or is no official recall through Subaru Aust,although
i cant speak on there behalf.I'm also unaware of any genuine cooling system conditioner
being made available for the australian market.
I suggest if you haven't already,contact subaru australia for more information.

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
hg WARRANTY?

git this from -ahem- 'another forum'. FYI

from the dealership:

WWP-99 Service Campaign - Cooling System Conditioner

Subaru has determined that certain 1999 through 2002 model year 2.5L equipped Subaru vehicles may experience an external coolant leak from the cylinder head gaskets. This is the result of normal relative thermal expansion and contraction variations of engine parts. As a precautionary measure, SOA is recommending that a special conditioner be added to the engine cooling system to prevent leaks from occurring or to correct existing leaks.

Only early Phase II 2.5 liter engines are affected by this campaign. Phase I 2.5 liter engines (some 1999 model year and prior years) are not affected. Countermeasures applied to the manufacturing process for those 2002 and later VINS not affected by this campaign have eliminated the need for this campaign to be performed on those vehicles.

In the future, it will be necessary to add Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner to the SUBARU vehicle cooling system whenever the engine coolant is replaced. The updated recommended service procedure as well as intervals for coolant replacement will be added to all applicable service manuals. As a reminder, we will include an update page in the owner notification letters that should be added to the Owner’s Manual and Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. We ask you to keep in mind that replacement of fluids (including Subaru Cooling System Conditioner) during inspection and maintenance services are not covered under warranty.

If the vehicle owner has this Service Program repair performed promptly, Subaru will extend coverage under the Subaru Limited Warranty on the vehicle for cylinder head gasket external coolant leaks to a period of 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Warranty coverage begins on the date the vehicle was delivered to the first retail purchaser. If the vehicle was used as a demonstrator or company vehicle before being sold at retail, warranty coverage begins on the date the vehicle was first placed in such service. As a further condition for this extended warranty coverage to apply, the vehicle owner must have Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner added to the vehicle at any subsequent cooling system services at the interval specified in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet under the heading “Schedule of Inspection and Maintenance Services”.

Dealers will automatically be sent an initial quantity of Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner. Dealer bulletins and affected VIN lists will be mailed to dealers in early February 2004. Owner notification letters are scheduled for mailing in stages.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And this is the reply I received from Subaru Australia :

Dear Chris,

Thankyou for your inquiry.

We are not aware of any concerns regarding the recall for the American market, directly effecting
Australian complied vehicles.

All the information listed in the attached document are based on American complied vehicles.

Subaru Australia do not have any concerns relating to these issue's and all customers would
be contacted if this problem did occur.

Thankyou

Sounds just like a standard corporate response ;)

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
Well, I guess we need to hear about Europe/UK ,Japan/Asia, Canada(perhaps included in the US program?) and elsewhere. Any bd. members in those locations willing to contact Subaru?

·
Registered
1 Posts
02 2.5 head gasket

02 Outback w 2.5 l. Needed to replace head gaskets w less than 54 k miles on this car. Never tows. Garage kept. 4 oil changes/yr. Babied. Way too early. Apparently this is a common problem on this engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
02 subie
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing