Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had the valve covers done a few months ago and they told us that the head gasket needed to be done in the future which i was aware of.
My question is $1400 to the timing belt, and basically everything that makes sense while the engine is out and apart a good price?

And does anyone have some suggestions to a good shop in PDX, Oregon?

Also before anyone says it, i dont have the time knowledge to do this myself.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
$1400 in addition to head gasket repair is ridiculous. The timing components are removed in a HG repair. The only additional cost would be the belt, pulleys, water pump and thermostat. Maybe a couple hundred. Seals should be part of the HG repair, even the cam and crank seals.

I think the shop you have it at is adding too much labor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$1400 in addition to head gasket repair is ridiculous. The timing components are removed in a HG repair. The only additional cost would be the belt, pulleys, water pump and thermostat. Maybe a couple hundred. Seals should be part of the HG repair, even the cam and crank seals.

I think the shop you have it at is adding too much labor.

My understanding is that all of those parts and repairs will be done at the same time.
We have very few trusted soobie shops in town and this one comes highly recommended.
I have not checked with the dealer as i tend to stay away from them as much as possible.

·
Super Moderator
12,119 Posts
$1400 for a full HG job (check and remachine heads if needed, use MLS type gaskets) with the full TB job (belt, all tensioners/pulleys, water pump, crank and cam seals, reseal oil pump) would be a great deal in my neck of the woods.

However $1400 for a TB job is pretty steep.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked with the dealer and its $2k with a 50,000 mile or 3 year warranty. Free loaner car while the vehicle is in the shop.
Not into spending more than i have to but sometimes the peace of mind is worth it.
Going to double check with the first place.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, checked with the first shop and the cost is actually $1850.
Think i have my mind made up...;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So another question. The first shop does not use the OEM HG set and instead said that use the 6 star HG set(not sure if that is correct, but its a aftermarket gasket set). So any advice on which gasket set to use? The car has apprx 125k miles on it and i want to see another 125k miles before i get rid of it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell the other shop to use the WRX gasket set. Steel.

After talking to the wife she likes the dealer service and price.
I called to check with them and they use the updated MLS(Multi layered steel) OEM gaskets.
Are the WRX gaskets the same thing or something different? It seems to be that the bonded felt gaskets are what leads to the failure over time.

·
Super Moderator
12,119 Posts
6 Star is a multi-layer steel design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts