Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
05 Outback XT, 04 Mazda Speed Miata 07 Suburban.
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 93 Legacy that is experiencing coolant issues that appear to be head gasket related. This car is old enough that I don't think a new head gasket is an economic repair.

Which of the various sealing products have the best feedback and/or chance of success?

we are looking at Blue Devil, and Seal Steel. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
2002 outback 2.5 auto
21 Posts
Some say to use nothing but the Subaru brand of gasket sealer. I used a brand i got from Advan*e Auto, it was not cheap but it did solve the coolant leak. It also plugged up the radiator.

I am in the process of putting the engine back in after head gaskets and head resurfacing. Should the Subaru conditioner be used with new MLS gaskets or does it do no good until there is a leak?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some say to use nothing but the Subaru brand of gasket sealer. I used a brand i got from Advan*e Auto, it was not cheap but it did solve the coolant leak. It also plugged up the radiator.

I am in the process of putting the engine back in after head gaskets and head resurfacing. Should the Subaru conditioner be used with new MLS gaskets or does it do no good until there is a leak?

Is the Subaru Product designed to fix problems or just prevent them from happening?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Steel Seal, a few days to let it set followed by a new (or clean used) radiator might get you there... but once they are leaking compression it's rare that anything out of a bottle will save it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
not familiar with the instructions for use, but, I can't see how steel seal or similar products can be deposited where they need to go with the typical soob HG failure mode.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used steel seal...lasted a year and I'm into a jdm engine now...along with new rad hoses and rad...its a patch....not a repair...but it did get me to a point where I could afford to replace the prob...new MLS hg's installed by my mechanic...just need to figure out the egr valve and it goes in...after a right side front axle goes in...maybe even before the hole in the drivers door is painted....lol

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Subaru's conditioner stops existing external leaks, not internal ones.

those heads are actually not that hard to remove in the car and gasket slap. i think all the head bolts are even externally exposed and no need to even remove the valve covers/cams. super easy.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Limited
9 Posts

those heads are actually not that hard to remove in the car and gasket slap. i think all the head bolts are even externally exposed and no need to even remove the valve covers/cams. super easy.

Sorry, but could you explain the difference between and external and internal leak?

My wife's '06 OBW has a weepy head gasket on the passenger side. Is this a reasonable DYI job to attempt?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Sorry, but could you explain the difference between and external and internal leak?

My wife's '06 OBW has a weepy head gasket on the passenger side. Is this a reasonable DYI job to attempt?

Thanks!
internal = breach between combustion & cooling.

external = breach between cooling & outside environment.

Your engine is of the series known for external leaks. I'd rate it an intermediate/advanced DIY- you've already had engines out or apart, good place to work, plenty of tools, another car available etc.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Limited
9 Posts
Perhaps I have mis-diagnosed. In this case we have oil leaking ever so slowly with it getting a bit worse when climbing in the mountains. The coolant seems clear and we are not using coolant. Leaks about a quart of oil every thousand miles with drips of oil hitting the exhaust manifold.

About 20 years ago I changed a cam shaft on a small block '78 Chevy, but that car had no A/C and hardly any pollution gear.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
That could still be head gaskets- sometimes the oil galleys can leak out instead of or in addition to the coolant.

However, it is much more likely that the valve cover gaskets are leaking. Fits your description well.

Valve covers are their own PITA but much easier than head gaskets.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Limited
9 Posts
I will do some more inspection this weekend. While cramped, I feel better taking on the valve coverrs as opposed to pulling the heads. Thanks. (And my apologies if this is perceived as the hijacking of the thread from the OP)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

You sure about that?? I have a couple of friends that are Subie Mechanics, and they say you have pull the engine to do a head gasket.

I had the engine in my 90 replaced years ago, but I've never tried to do a head gasket on a Subie Boxer 4. If it is reasonable to do it in place, it might make a lot of sense to do the repair on my sons beater.

I know on my O5 2.5XT you have to take the motor loose (not pull it) just to change spark plugs, but it is a different engine. It is really tight in the engine room of my 05.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Subaru did my 2001 head in place did not pull the engine.

Valve covers are probably the culprit oil in the spark plug slot is usually the first indicator of failing valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
1995 legacy LS wagon automatic
22 Posts
subaru sealer

The latter. It was originally for Gen2 OBs, which are prone to external HG leaks. It will not in any way fix a blown HG.
I don't know how old this thread is, but- do you have a part number for the subaru factory sealer? Being used as a preventative measure if I undestand correctly. I'm changing heads now.
thanks,
Scott CW

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts