Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone one had their head gasket replaced were they used a 3M roloc disc to prep the surface of the heads? They also replaced the gaskets with ones for a turbo engine. Service manager said it's a better gasket. Welcome any comments? :8:
2006 Subaru Outback wagon
2.5 / non turbo

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean, 1997 2.5L 5spd
178 Posts
I had heard of those roloc discs from a Subaru tech, so I picked up a white one (120 grit) to try out. I tested it on a scrap cylinder head (bent valves), and I was shocked by how much material they seemed to remove. By the time the gasket material had been cleaned off, the metal surface was lightly but thoroughly scored; dragging my fingernail across it felt like a fine emory board. It was certainly not smooth. Maybe it was harmless, but I decided to use my tried-and-true fresh razor blades or just have the heads resurfaced.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
turbo gaskets are preferred. they take more abuse.

not sure about the head prep. but i have heard that you do not want to use ANY machine driven cleaner or pads. you can remove more material in one area than in another. so not recommended.

there is a great write up on prep'ing heads over on ultimatesubaru.org . i think it was posted by ''general_disorder'' , or something like that.

as for the block ..... ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. Did not know about the negative issues about the roloc dics until six month after the service(found a post on YouTube). Asked service manager and was told they always use the disc on HG replacements. 25K's later I'm thinking I paid big $ for a temporary patch.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
I've heard of problems with the Roloc discs. I got my heads resurfaced at the shop, and the block I cleaned with a whole lot of elbow grease with razor blades and sandpaper and brake cleaner.

Subaru Head Gasket Preparation - YouTube

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon
131 Posts
I used scotch brite on the engine. Checked it with straight edge and noticed no high/low points. Heads were done at the shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts