Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All steel, no coating mls head gasket for my 2009 non turbo outback. 213k miles. I never over heated. Replaceing head gaskets and I will Not be resurfacing the heads if they are not warped. Pulled off the old single layer coated gasket and the gasket is super clean, so I see no reason why they would require resurfacing.
Cleaned the block side and noticed micro pitting on mating surface. Can't feel them with my nail, but if you examine the surface at a certain angle with the proper lighting, you can see they are there.
Is there a coating I can use to fill in this micro pitting? Not looking to cover the whole surface, more like something I can wipe over the surface and scrape off so it just filling in imperfection.

A product that looks interesting to me is Hylomar Universal Blue.

If I had the head and block resurfaced, I would apply nothing and install dry. But, this is a different situation that might benefit from a little extra surface preparation like Hylomar. The product has a purpose, it's not anti Subaru and Subaru doesn't automatically reject it.

·
Super Moderator
25,263 Posts
that is not one of the brands typically used,...by subaru techs or those that have done many EJ25 SOHC engines.

please consider a minor machining of the heads, what you are looking for on a EJ253 is smooth as glass, and what appears "flat" cold is not when in use. ( ...EJ253 are even a little less forgiving then their older EJ251 counter part like I have)...so minor professional milling on the lowest setting is typical, without any valve work.

if that is out of the question for money: look up the "post apocalyptic method" on the ultimate subaru message board. (where subaru loving mechanical engineers have pondered many a year )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts