Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Outback 2.5 with 92,000 miles. It's been increasingly oozing oil over the past 30,000 miles, very minor at first but now much more noticeably so. I'm assuming this is the usual head gasket issue. As it's now pushing 11 years old and hasn't yet had the timing belt operation, it seems it's time to get in there and do everything.

We have a family friend who is a well-reputed mechanic who will do the job, and will let us acquire the parts. I've read a ton of threads here and I think I'm getting my head wrapped around this. I'm mostly wondering, as long as the engine is so torn apart, just how many other peripheral items should we have him replace in the process? Here's what I'm thinking...are any of these unnecessary/overkill at this point, and/or what else should get done that I haven't found?

And, is there any reason not to get all this stuff via Amazon?

1. Replace head gaskets
Fel-Pro Hs26170pt1
Is it automatic that the heads should be resurfaced, or does that depend on how they look upon disassembly?

2. New timing belt/water pump/pulleys/tensioners etc
Aisin TFK-007

3. Replace plugs and wires
NGK FR5AP-11 (x4) & NGK RC-FX101

4. Replace thermostat/gasket
Subaru 21210AA080

5. Replace valve cover gaskets (??)
Fel-Pro VS 50780 R

6. Replace PCV valve
Subaru 11810AA040

7. Replace serpentine belt as long as things are apart anyway (??)
Gates K050344

8. I assume the oil gets drained for this operation, so new oil & filter (??)
Subaru 15208AA12A + oil

9. Replace rear main seal (??)
Saw this debated, don't really know where this part is located or if it becomes accessible while doing this job? The part is cheap...is it quick and easy to replace as long as we're in there?
Subaru 806786040

10. I assume the coolant gets drained, so flush the radiator and put in new coolant (??)

Thank you so much for any insights, even if it's just on one of the items...:smile2:

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
443 Posts
Scope out my thread:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...253-hg-shopping-11044aa642-vs-11044aa770.html

OEM turbo gaskets on amazon were the cheapest for me. I believe I got everything else from SubaruPartsForYou.com or 1stSubaruParts.com

If you are going to do a flush, I highly recommend the Iron Tite thoroflush flush. Did wonders for my car.

AVLS rockers - you'll need new gaskets. AWD Auto also recommended replacing the oil pressure switches, but I think that was a waste of $35 for my car - the old ones were fine. They're easy to get to anyway.

Rear main seal - it's cheap and easy to do it while you are in there. On the other hand, folks say they are very rare to fail before 300k.

You should have all the wrist pin access port o-rings/gaskets done too.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
That's a solid list. You only have 1 serpentine belt, however. You should have 2 (different part number/size). The valve cover gaskets should be included in the HS set. If you do some good shopping, you can save a little bit of money by buying only the head gaskets, intake gaskets, and exhaust gaskets. The other gaskets in the FelPro HS set are for throttle body, valve stem seals, cam seals, etc (things that are not required for this job). However, it is nice to have those extra on-hand in-case something goes wrong. Food for thought.

Ideally, you'd want the heads resurfaced. This also gives you the chance (during reassembly) to set valve lash. Often overlooked at the timing belt change interval.

I assume (hope) you're pulling the engine for this endeavor? If so, you will have access to the rear main seal, but unless it's leaking (or "weeping"), I'd leave it alone. It is rare you'll have to replace it, especially if you keep-up on your oil changes.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
good job researching, well done!

And, is there any reason not to get all this stuff via Amazon?
anything you might want to return or establishing a relationship with local dealer are reasons to buy locally, but otherwise perfectly fine as you suspected.
1. Replace head gasketsIs it automatic that the heads should be resurfaced, or does that depend on how they look upon disassembly?
Automatic. For flatness and surface roughness. Only checking for flatness is archaic. And even if we were only talking about flatness - they always have high and low spots and fire ring impressions, which are silly to ignore on heads prone to leak. But as it is - we aren't only talking about flatness, surface roughness is another reason resurfacing is done.

2. New timing belt/water pump/pulleys/tensioners etc
Aisin TFK-007
That should be a metal stamped water pump gasket like OEM, but if not get an OEM one.

5. Replace valve cover gaskets (??)
Fel-Pro VS 50780 R
Those are included in the headset you already listed above, so you don't need those.

9. Replace rear main seal (??)
Saw this debated, don't really know where this part is located or if it becomes accessible while doing this job? The part is cheap...is it quick and easy to replace as long as we're in there?[/B]
If they pull the engine like most people do then it's staring you in the face and easy to replace, basically zero labor. It's rare but if the job is done in the vehicle, then there's no access to that seal.

10. I assume the coolant gets drained, so flush the radiator and put in new coolant (??)
Subaru also spec's coolant additive for that engine, though I'm not sure of the efficacy of it on those era EJ25's on post-operative engines.

Fel Pro headgaskets are often OEM/acceptable quality and used by some reputable subaru experienced shops. that being said - they can switch suppliers too lesser grade products, so there's no absolute guarantee you're getting a currently preferred gasket. I don't do enough quantity to keep tabs on Fel Pro offerings for each model Subaru engine so I favor Subaru, but most feedback i've seen suggests you'll probably be fine in this case, but i'd be checking a few current reviews/feedbacks.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much, all of you! This is massively helpful. Not being very mechanically inclined, I'm really right at the limits of my understanding on all of this...these precisions are invaluable. I'm going to tweak the shopping/to-do list accordingly. Thank you!!

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
443 Posts
On mine, I had to pull the throttle body to have access to seperate the flywheel from the torque converter. So technically you are supposed to replace that gasket too.

Thermostat & gasket wasn't on your list. Definitely do those since the coolant will be drained anyway.

If pulling the engine, reseal the oil seperator plate.

If doing the timing belt, front main (or crank) seals and cam seals

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
On mine, I had to pull the throttle body to have access to seperate the flywheel from the torque converter. So technically you are supposed to replace that gasket too.

If doing the timing belt, front main (or crank) seals and cam seals
All of those are included in the Headset Part #1.

the throttle body doesn't need removed for the torque converter bolts, remove the entire intake manifold which is required for a head job anyway so it's zero additional work. They can be removed as-is but it's tight and requires specific tools and/or arrangement and as such is tedious.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thermostat & gasket wasn't on your list. Definitely do those since the coolant will be drained anyway.
It actually is, #4 up there. I figured on doing a radiator flush as well (#10) since it will be drained. :smile2: Thank you though, sincerely. I'm not doing this myself, I don't do much beyond minor repairs, and I can't really visualize all the steps and components that will be handled in this job...so I really truly appreciate anyone pointing out anything that may seem obvious. :smile2:

·
Registered
09 Legacy GT, 08 Legacy 2.5i, 09 Outback 2.5i
181 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing weeping oil and gradually worse over the past year. 2008 Legacy 2.5i NA @ 62K miles. My son and I will be pulling the engine to do head gaskets and all the other gaskets too.

Does anyone have experience with different brand head gaskets? I am looking at the Mahle HS54493C set from Rock Auto. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2648282&cc=1440455&jsn=__GIP__35__ Or is it recommended to go OEM head gaskets or some other head gasket brand or design?

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
443 Posts
When doing the research for mine, there were the main recommendations I found were for the Fel-Pro, Six star, and OEM turbo gaskets. All are MLS.

The turbo OEM do not have a coating to wear away. Eagleeye usually points to this thread, where the six star coating wore away prematurely-http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/608602-post29.html

I went with the turbo OEM gaskets, but don't have many miles on them...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts