Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife bought her car today the finance guy was pretty pushy when trying to sell an extended warranty. I didn't think it was worth it, so I talked her out of it. The person kept pushing the topic of "80k mile head gasket blowing". After searching google I found specific years that were prone to doing this, like 2000-2003 with 2.5 engine. But is this the case for any of the new gen models? I just don't see how Subaru could keep selling cars if people knew the head gasket was going to blow sooner than any other manufacturer or car, including disposable cars like Kia...

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
198 Posts
When my wife bought her car today the finance guy was pretty pushy when trying to sell an extended warranty. I didn't think it was worth it, so I talked her out of it. The person kept pushing the topic of "80k mile head gasket blowing". After searching google I found specific years that were prone to doing this, like 2000-2003 with 2.5 engine. But is this the case for any of the new gen models? I just don't see how Subaru could keep selling cars if people knew the head gasket was going to blow sooner than any other manufacturer or car, including disposable cars like Kia...
Yes there was a warranty issue on those years for I have one of them. However issues were fixed and do you think Consumer Reports would now rate this is as one of the most reliable cars and most reliable brand on the road if they thought the head gasket would blow? However if you look at the consumer reports ratings for Outback for those years 2000-2003 on the engine they are not so stellar just for that issue. Ours was a new purchase back then and it currently has almost 179K miles on it... And look on the road you see PLENTY from those years still running.. There are people on this forum that have well over 200K miles on thier Subarus..
We are purchasing a new Outback now for several reasons.. However the one we currenty have there is NOTHING wrong with it :29:

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
‘my wife bought her car today the finance guy was pretty pushy’

The perfect selling condtions, can’t say I blame the guy for trying. It’s bad enough even with guys buying, but you still have the option till 3/36K.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
What year are you looking at? 13 is the new FB engine so no worries. 10-12 is the EJ block but for 2010 they revised the gaskets and head design so the problem is solved there as well. However 2010 Foresters and Imprezas still had the EJ with the open deck design prone to problems. 2011 Foresters got the new FB, 2011 Imprezas did not. What SOA is thinking sometimes is beyond me.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
We had the finance guy mention the HG thing to us when discussing the warranty. I simply said WOW you mean they fixed that back in 2003 but it cropped back up again? Then mentioned maybe we should go buy a different brand? Finance manager backed up so fast his trousers had burn marks on the back side. From that point on he would ask and I would say no and that was it no hard sell. On the way out after all the paper work was done I told him he needs to work on his sales pitch that it SUCKED so bad he nearly lost a sale with someone who actually knew about the car being purchased.

He just looked at me and turned pink.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
Man, if I were buying a new car and if ANYONE at the dealership was pushing an extended warranty "because it'll blow a head gasket at or around 80k miles," I think I'd go look at other cars.. That's some b.s.!

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
Man, if I were buying a new car and if ANYONE at the dealership was pushing an extended warranty "because it'll blow a head gasket at or around 80k miles," I think I'd go look at other cars.. That's some b.s.!
I would simply say the following to this high-pressure salesman:
If these cars can be predicted to blow their head gaskets right after the regular warranty is over, I will have to seriously reconsider my purchase of a Subaru.

Then, watch how fast he back-pedals in order to try to keep you from walking out of the showroom.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
If these cars can be predicted to blow their head gaskets right after the regular warranty is over, I will have to seriously reconsider my purchase of a Subaru.

Then, watch how fast he back-pedals in order to try to keep you from walking out of the showroom.
Be sure to have a fire extinguisher on hand or possibly just prior to going into the finance office check around the sales floor and locate the closes fire hose. I swear the finance manager was going to burst into flames given the speed at which he back peddled after his hard sell effort backfired in his face.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I just tell them I thought I was at the Subaru dealer......Not the Ford dealer. If I was buying a Ford, I would definitely consider buying the extended coverage. But I wouldn't buy a Ford.

I have used this at the Honda and Toyota dealers as well. They shut up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Co worker just purchased a Hyundai and this is new one! Electronic component warranty- being sold as a stand alone extra in the finance office! The really funny thing was she purchased a base model with none of the fancy gizmos to start with ha ha. She passed on all the add on hard sell stuff in the finance office the base still cost her nearly 30K!

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts

"You make it sound like these cars are unreliable. Thanks for letting me know! I'll go buy something else, instead... :29:"

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Be sure to have a fire extinguisher...
Or a shovel to wade through the slop.
I got so scared about the $1K ECU parts + labor so I asked, “Then why am I buying a Subaru”, his lips started moving towards the service program thereafter.<O:p</O:p

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
What year are you looking at? 13 is the new FB engine so no worries. 10-12 is the EJ block but for 2010 they revised the gaskets and head design so the problem is solved there as well. However 2010 Foresters and Imprezas still had the EJ with the open deck design prone to problems. 2011 Foresters got the new FB, 2011 Imprezas did not. What SOA is thinking sometimes is beyond me.
x2.

Link:

Head gasket issue was resolved DEFINITIVELY in 2010. Your finance guy is an idiot and/or a poor salesman.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
1,011 Posts
So, now you know that the sales guy gets the commission on the car sale, but the finance guy gets the commission on the extended warranty sale. And he's got low enough ethics to be willing to badmouth the product in order to get his extended warranty commission. (Especially in light of it being an old issue that's not valid for the current model in question.)

I like the idea of getting out the cell phone and calling the sales guy for the deal, right on the spot, and asking him to explain the head-gasket problem that the finance guy is raising as an issue, letting him know that you are considering cancelling the deal, and then let the two of them fight it out.....

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
So, now you know that the sales guy gets the commission on the car sale, but the finance guy gets the commission on the extended warranty sale. And he's got low enough ethics to be willing to badmouth the product in order to get his extended warranty commission. (Especially in light of it being an old issue that's not valid for the current model in question.)

I like the idea of getting out the cell phone and calling the sales guy for the deal, right on the spot, and asking him to explain the head-gasket problem that the finance guy is raising as an issue, letting him know that you are considering cancelling the deal, and then let the two of them fight it out.....
HA ! That would be a good move also. Or just calling a friend and saying " Hey you still have that Honda on the lot Ok thanks I'm headed over right now" And start getting out of your chair. LOL

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is a 2013, and we aren't looking at it, we bought it...so I hope the engine changes are good and that they don't affect reliability.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We had the finance guy mention the HG thing to us when discussing the warranty. I simply said WOW you mean they fixed that back in 2003 but it cropped back up again? Then mentioned maybe we should go buy a different brand? Finance manager backed up so fast his trousers had burn marks on the back side. From that point on he would ask and I would say no and that was it no hard sell. On the way out after all the paper work was done I told him he needs to work on his sales pitch that it SUCKED so bad he nearly lost a sale with someone who actually knew about the car being purchased.

He just looked at me and turned pink.
That is probably the way the conversation would have gone if I was there. He had my wife pretty well convinced. Kinda like that video on youtube of the guy asking his wife how far you go in one hour if you are going 60mph...not really, my wife is very, very smart. Sometimes those sales guys make it sound like a no-brainer. I'm just glad my wife listened to me over the phone and finally decided not to do it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agreed! That's why I mentioned buying a KIA, cuz they are cheapo cars and that aren't even that bad...:28:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts