Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Outback 2.5i with 65k miles on it. It has been about a year that I noticed that I had some oil trace on the garage ground. Since then I have been monitoring oil level closely. However, it is nothing to be alert. About 0.2 quarts/200ml need to be added to level up on the middle for 3-4 month 2000 miles. During oil change i noticed oil trace around the oil filter. Is this the early symptom of head gaskets leaking? anything i can do now?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
My 2007 Legacy had leaks well past that in miles, but I didn't get a good look at where it was coming from due to not having equipment and place to do so (I live in a nice apartment complex that prohibits working on cars) but did notice both oil in the parking spot as well as oil usage that went up.

Note there are other places in the engine that can have oil leaks as well, such as valve cover gaskets.

With enough checking around the web, one of the things I've come to learn is the boxer engine is more sensitive to oil change frequency for head gaskets due to acidic oil, etc. because the gaskets are (at least for part of them) always in contact with crankcase oil, even when off. Due to financial hard times, there were some extended oil change cycles on my car, which I'm sure contributed long-term to needing new gaskets.

With such a low-mileage car, you're best off changing oil based on time or (if it's a bunch of short trips) much shorter mileage intervals for that reason. I had my head gasket replaced in February at about 118K miles, and you have an older car with about half the miles per year. One of the worst things you can do to a car is to not drive it, because it degrades from sitting, so you might as well have it wear from use than from dry rot!

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
983 Posts
Looks familiar

Check the where the head and block meet, that's the headgasket.

It wasn't a problem for me neither. I didn't even get more than an occasional 1 drop of oil on the floor. The problem was that the occasional drop of oil landed on the exhaust and would cause a bad burning oil smell at stop lights or when backing up. I could probably have gone years without the headgasket job, but last fall I finally bit the bullet and had a shop replace the headgasket with an MLS gasket kit I bought and supplied them. No more leaks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts