Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium, Black
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Outback (premium) and twice in the past month the Bluetooth would randomly disappear in my phone (Android) and work phone (IPhone) couldn't connect. It was as if the Bluetooth in the head unit ceased to exist. Additionally, when that happens the two rear USB ports would stop working. I would turn the car off, and when I turned it back on a few minutes later, sometimes an hour later, everything would be working as if it was completely normal. Yesterday it happened when I was driving home so I drove straight to the Subaru dealer to have them look at it and make an assessment since it was an active issue that they could see. The determined it was definitely a hardware issue inside the head unit but the vehicle has 42,000 miles so it's past the 36,000 mi warranty. I called Subaru of America and they are going to replace the head unit for free, saving me over $1,000. This is why I buy Subaru and tell others to do the same. They actually care

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting.

I.have had this problem.but have been able to minimize the issue by making the bluetooth connection the only active.connection between car and phone. Turn off wifi in the car. Disable android auto on the phone. Deactivate the phone's profile in Android auto in the car. No wifi connection, no android auto connection. Just Bluetooth. As long as there's no competition (I rly don't use those other things anyway) the issue hasn't recurred. Fingers crossed.

Enjoy the new head unit

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.

I.have had this problem.but have been able to minimize the issue by making the bluetooth connection the only active.connection between car and phone. Turn off wifi in the car. Disable android auto on the phone. Deactivate the phone's profile in Android auto in the car. No wifi connection, no android auto connection. Just Bluetooth. As long as there's no competition (I rly don't use those other things anyway) the issue hasn't recurred. Fingers crossed.

Enjoy the new head unit
Go get a new head unit. That's complete BS that you have to do all that just to use your car. Who has time for that? We need everyone to report this issue so Subaru is forced to recall and replace

·
Registered
36 Posts
Erf.

It's been reported to subaru. Don't worry.

I'm tired of having my new car in the service department and am happy to handle this the way I choose. It took 3 minutes to make the changes described and it works fine. Maybe the next time I'm there anyway I'll mention it. Thx for input.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,272 Posts
My Bluetooth connection was a problem for the first month then it connected and worked for extended periods of time and then would fail. This repeated for the first year of ownership.
A week after the 12 month service, which included the software update, I was driving down the freeway and the Bluetooth disconnected and told me about it on a screen info flash. Reset everything and it works for a while and then bam, nothing. The frequency of the Bluetooth disconnect seems to be increasing.
Today, the phone disconnected during a call but the call went to the phone ear speaker so I could mildly hear the call while stopped. In a few minutes I called AirTraffic from the CID and the phone made the call and used the phone's speaker option. The call was disconnected using the CID while it was telling me the Bluetooth was disconnected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep reporting the issue. I believe the head unit is the problem. I had a 2020 Ascent (worst MPG ever, dumped it after a year of ownership) and never had anything remotely weird like this happen

My Bluetooth connection was a problem for the first month then it connected and worked for extended periods of time and then would fail. This repeated for the first year of ownership.
A week after the 12 month service, which included the software update, I was driving down the freeway and the Bluetooth disconnected and told me about it on a screen info flash. Reset everything and it works for a while and then bam, nothing. The frequency of the Bluetooth disconnect seems to be increasing.
Today, the phone disconnected during a call but the call went to the phone ear speaker so I could mildly hear the call while stopped. In a few minutes I called AirTraffic from the CID and the phone made the call and used the phone's speaker option. The call was disconnected using the CID while it was telling me the Bluetooth was disconnected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts