Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - 5 speed - 191K
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On March 29 this year I did an oil change and found some metal on my magnetic drain plug. I did another oil change 2 weeks ago and found more metal on the drain plug, but not as much as in the attached photo. 204,000 on the engine. Prior owner replaced main bearings (but not piston rings) at 175,000. He also had the heads rebuilt at 175,000.

It is only a matter of time until I'll need a new engine. I am saving for a NEW short block.

Has anyone had a good experience with a machine shop (maybe in the Philadelphia/Jersey area) for rebuilding heads or selling GOOD remanufactured heads.

I found this place online. $535 each for heads that fit my car.

https://www.cylinder-heads.com/

They are in Clearwater FL.

I am not sure how many times my heads have been rebuilt and they may not meet minimum tolerances for rebuilding.

Advice or ideas?

I'm Looking to do the work this Fall or sooner if the engine bricks.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,222 Posts
@rasterman maybe able to recommend something ....closer. or even better a place that just does subarus and has a matching long block, with fresh great head gaskets in it. (and they take what you got in deposits/ trade).

_______

good machine shops are typically within 100 miles.

good as in, they have nice machines that do heads. and don't automatically charge you to rebuild and fix everything on a head when all you need/want to pay for is a a quick head grind.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
5 year Unlimited mile warranty on the heads, new or rebuilt. That's the best warranty I have seen. You will only get 1 year from the dealer.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@rasterman maybe able to recommend something ....closer. or even better a place that just does subarus and has a matching long block, with fresh great head gaskets in it. (and they take what you got in deposits/ trade).

_______

good machine shops are typically within 100 miles.

good as in, they have nice machines that do heads. and don't automatically charge you to rebuild and fix everything on a head when all you need/want to pay for is a a quick head grind.
I have no issue buying a remanufactured head from a machine shop Anywhere in the United States as long as they have a good reputation. I am kind of dead set on buying a brand new short block. I am OCD when it comes to these things and if it is only a few hundred or $1,000 more for new versus remanufactured I will go with new. It would be my intention at that point to hold on to the old short block and rebuild it at my own leisure to gain the experience. I believe you can never have too many spare parts laying around for cars like ours. My concern is Finding good remanufactured heads that had not been ground too many times. The 5-year warranty is also very appealing.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,203 Posts
You can also check with this guy here in Indiana. He supplies rebuilds to the Indiana area Sub dealers:

Vic Hasstedt
708 Wind Song Trail
Mooresville IN 46158
317-750-0677

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,203 Posts
Vic does not stock rebuilds as a matter of course, so he may not have exactly what you need right there, ready to go. Still, give him a call.

Took a friends '06 OB down to him a couple months ago to have him yank the engine and rebuild it ( he normally does not take cars in to do the removal/installation - he works out of his garage and has the machine work done at a local shop - but the car owner is dangerous when it comes to mechanical things, and was willing to pay him). Total bill was about $2600 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
405 Posts
Thought I'd float out another option for you since you are considering a full reman head.

When my head was cracked, I ended up dumpster diving at the pick-n-pulls. Got a nice head out of a wrecked legacy that had under 100k on it for $70. Paid a machine shop $275 for a valve job and $135 to resurface both heads. I'm in southern california, so labor isn't cheap out here...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I'd float out another option for you since you are considering a full reman head.

When my head was cracked, I ended up dumpster diving at the pick-n-pulls. Got a nice head out of a wrecked legacy that had under 100k on it for $70. Paid a machine shop $275 for a valve job and $135 to resurface both heads. I'm in southern california, so labor isn't cheap out here...
I have time Monday. Maybe I'll give a few yards a call for two heads so I can get them done while my car stays put together. I can get the new engine put together and ready to go into the car. Would save a bunch of time that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts