Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am at a loss of words once again. This past summer, on a trip to Maine, I blew the headgasket in my 97 Legacy GT. I traded it in as is for a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport. I was specifically told that I had nothing to worry about with this motor because they were redesigned and SOHC. Well, guess what - I am now seeing an antifreeze drip from what appears to be the area around my drivers side cylinders. Oh boy! Now I am all fired up again because I still owe money on this car and don't have a warranty (76,000 miles). So, I found a place to download a service manual for free so I looked through it breifly and I think I am going to try this repair on my own. I will be doing a compression test tonight to verify the diagnosis. If the test proves my theory, I have an appointment set up on Thurs for Subie to look at it. I looked into the recall about the coolant additive and, even though I have a 2.5L engine, the recall only applies to Legacys from what SOA told me. That is a bummer because then I would be covered against an external leak. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should handle this without completely losing my mind (and respect for SOA's headgaskets)?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
t--

a compression test won't necessarily prove or disprove head gasket leak, unless the leakage is from the cylinder into water jackets etc. you could easily have a coolant leak without there being any effect on cyl compression. coolant can leak from water jacketing to outside of engine.

what you prolly need to do is get cooling system pressure tester and pressurize system to test whaere the coolant is coming from. it will usually be worse on a cold engine, so do the test after it's sat overnight. there is also a test known as a leakdown test, which invoilves pumping air at measured pressure into cylinders and measuring how much the pressure leaks down in given period of time. this will also tell you where the leakage is going....look and listen for bubbles or air escape.

i don't understand recall being limited to the Legacy....the only difference i can see in US-Mkt 2.5 SOHC cars is that the L is built in Lafayette, IN while the Prezzy is built in Japan. anyone have any thoughts?

keep us posted. i'm going to look under my 02 OBS when i get home tonight.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
:( No!

I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but when you DO contact a dealer, make sure it's Van Bortel. They are the best for a reason.

Man, your scooby picked a bad week for this kinda problem...brrr.

Best of luck, let me know if there is anything I might be able to help you with, my time is pretty limited though, I'll do what I can!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it is freezing, huh! Well, I did schedule an appt with Vanbortel. They are going to look at it on Thursday night so I will hold off on doing anything until then. I have not seen any temp issues or smells yet so I think I may be safe for the next day or two. I am just a bit worried that this may be the second HG in my second Subie :mad:

FM, thanks for the offer, very generous. I will keep you all posted as I hear more but I think I am safe (for now!).

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Having them tell you it is/was Legacy specific for the HG problem is BULL. I have not heard that one yet. Good luck in finding the problem. Keep us posted so I can see what my MY02 OBS has to look forward to at that mileage. Brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, good news! It must have been a false alarm. The Subaru dealership did a pressure test, compression test ,and visual inspection and they found no leaks and no concerns. I am very happy and I now realize how important it is to keep up with flushes and any symptoms - these engines can be very tempermental. I will keep my fingers crossed that this won't be the case but I will also stay very attentive to any possible issues! THanks for the insight and support throughout the last week!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you have a pm for the service manual link - I am not sure that with Copyright laws if it is ok to post openly on the forum. If anyone else is interested let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
tompetey
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing