Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am getting ready to replace the headgasket on my 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i SOHC.

I have read that people recommend replacing with the turbo head gasket? Is this true?

I am just asking for the specific part # for the head gaskets for this model. Which gasket would you recommend?

Other than the head gasket are there any other gaskets I should replace while I am in there?

Cheers!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
subaru turbo gaskets are what you want (for the EJ255)

make sure the heads get machined,...no other work is needed though on them. (although sometimes machine shops want to do everything they can $$$)

when was the last timing belt kit done (years .miles) ?

plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets are also easy to do with the engine out. and typically done also at this time.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
subaru turbo gaskets are what you want (for the EJ255)

make sure the heads get machined,...no other work is needed though on them. (although sometimes machine shops want to do everything they can $$$)

when was the last timing belt kit done (years .miles) ?

plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets are also easy to do with the engine out. and typically done also at this time.
Yes EJ255 is the engine. Can you provide part # and what brand head gasket should I get? Or if you have a link to where I can buy them, I typically order stuff off rock auto

I had the timing belt, pulleys, and water pump replaced about 30-40k ago. I am planning on replacing the timing belt while I am in there. The valve cover gaskets were replaced during the service for the timing belt, is there a necessity to replace again?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
Yes EJ255 is the engine. Can you provide part # and what brand head gasket should I get? Or if you have a link to where I can buy them, I typically order stuff off rock auto

I had the timing belt, pulleys, and water pump replaced about 30-40k ago. I am planning on replacing the timing belt while I am in there. The valve cover gaskets were replaced during the service for the timing belt, is there a necessity to replace again?
these are the kind.

subaru OEM MLS with bare steel, no vitron or other coatings like the aftermarkets have and have been known to wear away and leak again.

https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Gasket-04-06-Legacy-Forester/dp/B01ED8AZYU/

in miles you still got a lot of life on the timing belt kit, the rubber belt itself might outlast the pulleys/ idlers etc. in there
(hope you used OEM or japanese made stuff).

if the valve covers were replaced before,...and they are not leaking now,...no need to touch them.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
these are the kind.

subaru OEM MLS with bare steel, no vitron or other coatings like the aftermarkets have and have been known to wear away and leak again.

https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Gasket-04-06-Legacy-Forester/dp/B01ED8AZYU/

in miles you still got a lot of life on the timing belt kit, the rubber belt itself might outlast the pulleys/ idlers etc. in there
(hope you used OEM or japanese made stuff).

if the valve covers were replaced before,...and they are not leaking now,...no need to touch them.
Cool, Thanks.

Do you recommend completely taking the engine out? I have seen people just jack the engine up a foot or so to create just enough room to get the heads out...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
I would kind of build my own head gasket kit from what the aftermarkets offer, but out of subaru or aftermarket parts.

what with the various intake / exhaust minor things that are in them,... (minor aluminum/ steel / rubber things,)

you could even get a felpro /beck arnley etc kit and just add the subaru OEM turbo gaskets to it, tossing the ones that come with it).

how many miles on this car?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
Cool, Thanks.

Do you recommend completely taking the engine out? I have seen people just jack the engine up a foot or so to create just enough room to get the heads out...
with a EJ253 it is always a good idea to take the engine out to do head gaskets.

makes it easy to look at,...clean, and make sure things are going on neat and straight. vs. being sorry later. ...although there are plenty of youtube videos of doing them in the car,...like proving they can climb denali with one powerbar and a starbucks 25oz latte as their only equipment.
(EJ251/ EJ253 maybe some of the easiest engines to pull and reinstall made in the past 20 years).

advice: get a harbor freight engine crane and something to strap the engine to. use them till your heart is content and then sell them on craigslist to someone else. (if you can't find them on local craigslist this minute).

(unless your local parts place rents cranes / stands for NOTHING).

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would kind of build my own head gasket kit from what the aftermarkets offer, but out of subaru or aftermarket parts.

what with the various intake / exhaust minor things that are in them,... (minor aluminum/ steel / rubber things,)

you could even get a felpro /beck arnley etc kit and just add the subaru OEM turbo gaskets to it, tossing the ones that come with it).

170,000 miles

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
,...like proving they can climb denali with one powerbar and a starbucks 25oz latte as their only equipment.

(unless your local parts place rents cranes / stands for NOTHING).
Ah yes, putting it in mountaineering terms, something I can understand. Thanks,

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see you are in colorado,

if you are stuck without a interior space to do this:

@traildogck has a garage and a whole lot of tools in Thorton,.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/9-out-west/286490-tdck-s-*******-denver-repair-facility.html

While I am not an experienced mechanic I have interior space, plenty of tools, and I should have an engine hoist. I have some experienced acquaintances who are offering to help.

All I see on the engine block is EJ25, how do I differentiate the last number (EJ25/x)? And will this change the part order?

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Sorry, I need clarification here.

Is it necessary to buy a kit? Can't I just buy the OEM head gasket (ie link you sent to amazon) and call it a day? Or do I need additional gaskets?

I am also planning on replacing the head bolts... Good idea?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
While I am not an experienced mechanic I have interior space, plenty of tools, and I should have an engine hoist. I have some experienced acquaintances who are offering to help.

All I see on the engine block is EJ25, how do I differentiate the last number (EJ25/x)? And will this change the part order?
the short block only has EJ25

yours is a first year Ej253,...the head gaskets that came on it are single layer steel ones that are prone to leak. (like any other 2000-2009 naturally aspirated H4)

I have EJ255 turbo oem head gaskets on my own 2002 EJ251 (which is similar to yours).

= subaru dealers still have plenty of old single layer ones to sell though, (sadly,.. the original leaky type that came with 2005 EJ253)

_____

so outside of the turbo head gaskets, as long as you order all the other parts for a 2005 legacy outback H4 naturally aspirated H4 engine,
(NOT the turbo ) you should be fine .

here is a good pic thread, really good if you read it backwards, its on a older but similar engine to yours

but the poster never did the work on a subaru before,...he did the DIY on his own heads ...nice if you if you want to save some $$$

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ngine-swap-us-jdm-ej251-diy-head-gaskets.html

and here is that DIY head technique over on USMB
DIY Head Resurfacing... or "Post-apocalyptic machine shop techniques!" - Old Gen.: 80's GL/DL/XT/Loyales... - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1 - 13 of 13 Posts