Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2000 Outback wagon, 2.5 and I have oil on both of my left cylinder spark plugs. It is giving me a misfire Cyl #4 and a knock sensor on bank #1. Could this be caused by a possible headgasket issue?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
not headgasket signs.

oil on spark plugs - spark plug tube gaskets and valve cover gaskets.

knock sensor - replace knock sensor. aftermarkets are cheap and they're super easy to replace, takes 15-30 minutes. lots of info online about those.

cylinder misfire - usually plugs and wires. but get the oil leak taken care of first, the wetness could be screwing with them.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
+1 to grossgary, he speaks the truth.

NGK plugs.
NGK or Subaru wires.
Replace valve cover gaskets and spark plug grommets.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
The spark plug grommets are technically part of the valve cover gasket. The gasket kit consists of a gasket that goes around the outside of the valve cover and then 2 grommets that seal the space between the valve cover and each spark plug tube.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Spark plug grommets, you mean the boots on top of the plugs?
no. the oil leak is coming from the valve cover. between the cover and the spark plug tube. see the circle the spark plugs are located inside of? between the valve cover and that tube is a gasket - a "spark plug gasket". you replace it with the valve cover gasket - 2 per side, 4 total.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I looked into it, and saw that. Wheres a good place to get the gasket set and plug wires? Also thank you all for being so helpful

1 - 7 of 7 Posts