Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight assemblies on my 2009 OB are shot. One is cracked. I want to replace them both and when I took a look at all the aftermarket assemblies available it didn't make the choice any easier. I would like to maintain the stock type that take halogen bulbs, not LED. What is a good aftermarket part that won't break the bank? Factory assemblies are $350+ and that isn't in the budget.

Thank you

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
250 Posts
Do you have any pick n pull yards in your area? If so, you should check them out. '05-'09 Outbacks show up pretty regularly in the yards here, and you can usually get a decent pair of OEM Headlights for pretty cheap. Worst case scenario, you might need to re-polish the lenses before installing them on the car...not too difficult.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
761 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
761 Posts
Yes. I bought a pair a couple years ago for my car when I did a Mini H1 HID retrofit.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Base, 2.5, automatic in Granny Gold
80 Posts
I couldn't sand mine down enough to get rid of the yellow, so I replaced mine in October 2019 with some TYC, about $120 for each side from RockAuto. Build quality seemed pretty good and they haven't faded yet. I used different bulbs, but nothing fancy. I think there was a good video by A-1 about replacing the assembly.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,509 Posts
The aftermarket DEPO units are pretty good, and CAPA/NSF certified (if I recall correctly).

Used OE are more than likely going to need a cut/polish/clear coat to maintain some decent clarity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts