Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if this is a widespread problem, if it is a problem. I've heard other people talk about cloudy headlights on other vehicles but my old truck (with composite lights) was never clouded.

These on the new OBS are crystal clear-looking until light shines through or on them. I noticed sunlight did the same thing to them, just by small lightbeams coming through the trees. In the shady parts I'd never have thought they could be haze-covered or anything, but there where the sunlight hit was a bluish-white color. Same as at night with the lights on. Not 100% covered, or perhaps the non-uniformity is caused by how the beams are reflected. Brighter and dimmer parts, I mean.

If there's a way to keep them crystal clear, please say so, I'm all ears (or eyes).:cool:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
no idea what problem might be. the ones on my 02 OBS are clear. however, i have yet to see a set of plastic lens headlamps that don't get foggy with age so i'm gonna buy a spare set to keep on shelf from one the kids yanking em for racey lookin aftermkt junk.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Yeah, on some brands of car they not only get cloudy but turn yellow, too. It must be really bad trying to use those at night.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
one of the great ironies of the Volvo 240 as a "safety" car, which is usually lost on the type of owners who buy it with that in mind, is that it's completely UNsafe after dark, since you can't see more than abt 40' in front of you once it's 4 yrs old and the headlight lenses frost over. :D :bonk:

which is sort of a good metaphor for one of my car modifyin mantras: get the basic stock stuff working 100% before spending time/$ on mod.s; you might be amazed at how much you like the sotck item when it's working right.:2:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, spare parts can be a good thing to have on hand. These might be covered by my extremely new warranty, but I'll have to check on it being considered faulty or a defect or normal wear.

Just went outside to shine a 500,000 candle power light on them and noticed the fog, or haze, is best seen from an angle. If looking directly in front it's not as easy to see. But it doesn't look good; splotchy, and very unclear from side views.

Some parts actually remain crystal clear, although that makes the foggy haze more obvious. Heating from the light seems to affect it, too. I'll need to test more with car lights on for a long time to see how they change.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Bob, I have not noticed the issue you are describing on our 04 OBS. Strange.

I have a problem with the fogs in my '00 OBS though. They are full of condensation and water. I took them out this weekend but found no leaks or problems or anything. One actually has water sloshing around in there. It does not seem to impact them at all though. I am going to have the dealer check it out and see if it is covered under my extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
hmmmm.....sounds as if it might be worth my laying a bead of clear silicone sealer around joint line on my fogs before they get that. i honestly doubt you could get that much water accumulation from condensation; i suspect more likely a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: while giving the headlights another look last night I rubbed the haze with my thumb. I hadn't wanted to touch them until now and only carefully cleaned them before. Surprised to see the haze wipe away and look as clear as other parts were. So I got out the wash towel and applied more force along with the soap and water.

Appears to have cleaned the bluish, whitish haze somewhat. Difficult to see it anymore even when looking from angles. But it is still there.

Odd thing is how the driver side lamp cover has the haze directly where the driving and high beam lights shine, but the passenger side has less and mainly between the two lights. Another thing is that the passenger side is covered with horizontal scratches or scuffing while the other is practically mark-free.

Maybe bad detailing? I have a sticker on the driver door inside saying Clean-up done by 4M Trim and Cleanup, located in Nashville based on their phone number.

{Think I'll use suggestions I had read about polishing the covers then recoat with some sort of UV protection. At least it seems pretty definite all this is on the outside and not inside.}== Reconsidering this idea already. New car warranty here, so I better leave it alone and see if the covers degrade to the point of needing obvious replacement within the next few months or year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wax the plastic headlamp lenses on my OBS. Although they've clouded a bit from road debris over the past year, waxing the plastic brings some of that clear look back.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i've also heard of using corn starch, toothpaste or similar fine abrasive to polish plastic parts. never tried and no idea whether it wd work on hazy/foggy plastic headlight covers, tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
The_Lizard
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing