Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Limited
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side low beam went out on our 2010 for the second time. The first time was under warranty. I figured I would do it. Wrong idea! First of all, it is comparable to doing brain surgery through someone's behind. Then I broke the little plastic piece that the retaining clip snaps into, which now I found out means a whole new headlight assembly. Then I notice that despite removing all of the recommended retaining clips for the inner fender well, it cracked trying to slip my arm through there. So, there it sits again....no headlight, covered in my blood, and needing a grand in parts. I have never changed my opinion about a car so quickly. I can't see owning a car that you can't change headlight bulbs in. Ugh!

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I agree but actually dropping the bumper takes less effort and you can easily replace the bulb and if you are wise replace the one on the other side. I tried the fender liner removal to get to the light housing and it is a loser with my hands anyway.
Having never done it before took me maybe 20 minutes and reinstalling maybe 10 minutes. It simply is not that hard to do compared to the fender liner kludge.
You might try that and for what it is worth just use some JD Weld on the plastic piece to resecure it and no need to buy a new bucket.
Good luck and if I was you I would buy LL meaning long life bulbs...

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
496 Posts
I'd replace it with a good quality HID conversion kit. Then you don't have to worry about it for a long time.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,656 Posts
I figured I would do it. Wrong idea! First of all, it is comparable to doing brain surgery through someone's behind.
...I feel your pain too...but your analogy? Well all I can say to that is LMAO! That was hilarious!!

Probably the worst headlight design for changing bulbs that I have ever seen. You think they would change that knowing that not everyone has the arms of a 10 year old that are skinny enough to get in there and do the job.

I hope I never have to get you to brain surgery on me 'cause you only know how to do it one way...lol. :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
I must admit I do enjoy my HID conversion and the HID bubls typically last 10X the life of the Halogens...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I can't see owning a car that you can't change headlight bulbs in. Ugh!

Unfortunately this is a common issue on MANY modern cars. HID helps but HID bulbs do burn out (they last longer though).

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
I recently did HIDs too , not because I felt that the Outback was not bright enough
but the fact that HIDs last much longer than regular halogens.

replacing light bulbs on the 2013 Outback is alot of work because both front
wheels and also wheel wells has to be removed;to gain full access to the lighting assembly.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
It's a pretty poor design, imagine being out of town trying to get back home in bad weather and a headlight goes out so you pull into one of the only stores open and pick up a bulb only to find in the parking lot that you need to basically disassemble the front end in order to do what should by all rights be a 5 minute job tops.

:28::28: To the Subaru engineers that thought this was acceptable

Reactions: bheinen74

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I recently did HIDs too , not because I felt that the Outback was not bright enough

replacing light bulbs on the 2013 Outback is alot of work because both front
wheels and also wheel wells has to be removed;to gain full access to the lighting assembly.
You can "brighten" the 13 OB with Philips LED DRL - they sure make you noticed - day or night!

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Was that you on the Corvette Forum complaining about the headlight?
I complained about the headlights on my C5, but the OEM HIDs on the C6 were great! GM did take a step back on the foglights, though. They went from good projector lights to a regular housing. I converted the C6 to 35W HIDs and they were fine.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Tunces Outback:
I purchased the rebased bulbs and ballast from the The Retrofit Store (TRS) and used Morimoto branded components. Actually most systems out there last a long time but this OB my wife drives and I wanted reliability over all else. I used 35watt not 50 or 55 watt systems since the Lumens output is about 3 times the stock.

Just search here on HID install or retrofit. Many have done it and it simply is not that hard.
Remove the bumper which has 19 plastic pins and disconnect the fog light connectors if you have fog lights. Then simply unbolt the headlight bucket and set it where you wish to work on it and you can drill one hole to allow the connections in. The kit supplied virtually all of them have a rubber water proof grommet that seals the headlight bucket. Locate someplace you wish the ballast to be located (I used inside the engine compartment by the fise box drivers side and behind the power steering resevoir on the pass side.
Honestly I tried removing the fender liner and I still could not access the headlight bucket area. I removed the bumper never having done that before in short order and reinstalled the headlight buckets and bumper with no issues. It really allows you to do a first rate job that way.
I really love the HIDs they do a great job and will last 10 times the life of the typical halogen bulb...

·
Registered
496 Posts

QUOTE]

Is this still true if you take your car off road a lot... Or drive on unpaved/rough road a lot
Yes, it doesn't matter a lot with HIDs because there is no filament to burn out. The light is generated with an actual arc that jumps across the electrical lead gap.

·
Registered
2011 outback,2.5 Ruby Red
209 Posts
fun2drive, Thank you for that info as this will be my next project for this car.Even thou these little things just drive me crazy I like the car.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I would also recommend TRS. I purchased a DDM 35w 4500k HID kit shortly after I bought my OB. The bulbs' color didn't match each other and neither of them looked even close to 4500K (more like 6000K to my eyes). I had an expensive kit on my last car and thought I'd try the cheap stuff. It was a mistake.

So I eventually switched out the bulbs with Morimotos from TRS. I got the 4300K and they are dead on accurate as far as color is concerned. I had 4300k on a previous car and they look the same. I'm not a big fan of blue light, even though my interior LEDs are bluish.

I could not get the stupid driver's side plastic cover back onto the back of the headlight housing. It eventually went on after I lubed the rubber gasket with a dab of soap. I went in through the fender lining for both installations. It's a very tight fit and there's no way you can stick you arm in there and see what you're doing at the same time. I've learned to do the procedure by feel, but I've never cursed so much in my life. I bet I could do it again in short time, but I hope I won't have to for years.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts