Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both bulbs are out on the Outback.

It has been suggested the front bumper to be removed.

Can some one post the link. Instructions and pictures?

One thread suggest 19 total clips and the bumper will come off.

I current have 34 clips removed between the upper and lower parts of the bumper including the 3 hidden lower ones.

The joint at the fender is solid (both sides). The center of the bumper still does not move.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
'18 Outback, an F350 for big stuff
46 Posts
I did a low beam bulb replacement last week. There is no easy way to do it.

Recommend removing a front wheel to give you the extra access that makes the job easier. Take your time and remove the wheel liner push-pins without damaging them. A philips head screw-driver works on those pins with a philips head. A flat screwdriver works on the rest. I removed more push-pins than the service manual requires so that I could see what I was doing.

One difficult part was reinstalling the screw-on dust covers. Get them lined up properly and use a screwdriver from the engine compartment to push them in position. The o-ring takes some force to seat and it is difficult to do from the front wheel well. A helper would make things easier.

If *both* of your low beams died at the same time, I'd suspect something else is causing the problem. If they died one after the other, there is no option other than replacing those critters.

Lou Braun

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I checked the fuses and the relay and swapped the relay.

I suspect wife.com uses the DRL and the bulbs went out individually. She just noticed the first time this week (at night). She does not drive at night much or she went curb hopping like she did in my G8 and did not say anything.

LouBraun, I did want you recommended. Pulled the tires and completely removed the inner fenders. That gave me plenty of room. :29:

Putting on the dust covers was a real pain. Both lights work fine, we will see.

All I will say is the design is just stupid. I would never be able to do this on the road.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
There are a couple in the fender well that must come out. Especially the one that is top forward and sits almost vertical. Pic above on the right side shows that.
You pull the fenders out first than forward. It isn't going to come off unless you do that. Pop the fenders out and clear and the front will literally fall off...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts