Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5I outback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My headlight fuse keeps burning out after a few days. I bumped it up to a 20 amp and it still happens randomly, not immediately. Thoughts on trouble shooting?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,571 Posts
Check the bulbs and sockets.

Check your wiring at the plugs to make sure they aren't frayed and shorting to ground.

Blown fuses indicate the Battery positive current is shorting to ground somewhere in the circuit the fuse feeds or the circuit is being overloaded beyond the rating of the fuse. With a higher amp fuse installed, you need to look for a short.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
854 Posts
Check the bulbs and sockets.

Check your wiring at the plugs to make sure they aren't frayed and shorting to ground.

Blown fuses indicate the Battery positive current is shorting to ground somewhere in the circuit the fuse feeds or the circuit is being overloaded beyond the rating of the fuse. With a higher amp fuse installed, you need to look for a short.
All good suggestions. I would also replace all of the bulbs on that circuit. They can develop internal damage that can short or use extra current.

I also recommend going back to the original fuse size. A short can cause wiring to catch fire. The fuse is sized according to the wire type in order to try to prevent that from happening. A short is nothing to mess around with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts