Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan - 2.5l H4 w/ 195k+ miles
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! So my passenger-side low-beam headlight has stopped working. Only the one side, and daytime running lights still work fine. Blinker works fine, high-beams work fine. Bulb is new, fuse is fine, relay is fine, and I even cleaned up the ground wire (not perfect, but cleaner than the other side's and that light is working). I don't have a voltmeter, and frankly don't know how to use one even if I did.

Any help/recommendations would be hugely appreciated as it's just not a safe way to drive around at night. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Lacking the knowledge to use a multi-meter, I would start by swapping the bulbs. If the passenger side now works fine and the driver's side fails you know you have bulb issue.

If the passenger side is still out you know you have a wiring issue.

Time to acquire the knowledge to use a multi-meter. It really isn't all the difficult.

Reactions: DavidPeab

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Wait.

So the DRL (lows on partial power) work but the light goes out when you switch it to headlights on low? Correct?

·
Registered
18,168 Posts
. . . and daytime running lights still work fine.
The right side DRL and the right side regular headlight are the same bulb and the same wiring. (Also on the left side.) If the DRL function works on that side, then the bulb and wiring are good. It's unlikely that the bulb would work as a DRL (i.e., slightly lower brightness) but not as the regular headlight. And if for some reason a bulb acted this way, replacing the bulb should correct the problem.

Are you sure the right bulb was replaced?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan - 2.5l H4 w/ 195k+ miles
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mistake! Not the DRL, I am thinking the parking lights, the orange ones on the side :facepalm:. I will try switching the bulbs but I am 99% sure it's fine, as I literally just bought new ones and replaced them thinking that was the issue in the first place. Knowledge on the multi-meter I agree with haha. I'll probably pick one of those up too, just don't know where I ought to be reading from for this issue. Sorry for the DRL confusion, I'm just spacey.

·
Registered
18,168 Posts
Okay, so the problem comes down to the right low beam does not work on DRL or regular headlight operation; all others lights do.

If all the other headlights work, then all the wiring and switching is okay -- it's just something isolated to the right side low beam or the limited wiring to it.

I believe that model has separate bulbs for the low and high beams on each side. There's been several cases where one bulb wasn't working, but then when accessing the bulb from the back, the high beam bulb was removed and replaced, so nothing changes. Make sure that you are working with the low beam bulb at the back, and replacing it with the correct bulb.

Also, when the bulb is disconnected, check the connector on the wiring coming to the bulb. There's also been cases where the connector assembly had overheated, and either a wire was broken or it wasn't making good contact with the bulb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I have literally the same problem but on a 08 outback R.
Bought new HID bulbs.
Checked all fuses and relays.
Does anyone have any idea on what is going on??

·
Registered
2003 outback
2 Posts
Yup. same issue here on my 2003 outback. I haven't tried switching bulbs because I DO have a multi meter and I can't get any DC voltage at the bulb socket. all (one under dash and one under hood, plus all the other fuses, for that matter) have no resistance so they're all good. I saw something online about the dimmer relay. It's under the steering column and I'd need to remove a big piece of paneling. Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
184 Posts
It must be headlight-not-working season!

I'm having some issues and narrowed mine down to the little connecter that connects to the low beam bulb. It's a little busted, but when I moved it around the light would work/or not. Sprayed some contact cleaner and pushed everything together really well.

So far so good....

Worst case I'll be buying some new wiring.

·
Registered
18,168 Posts
Yup. same issue here on my 2003 outback. I haven't tried switching bulbs because I DO have a multi meter and I can't get any DC voltage at the bulb socket. all (one under dash and one under hood, plus all the other fuses, for that matter) have no resistance so they're all good. I saw something online about the dimmer relay. It's under the steering column and I'd need to remove a big piece of paneling. Has anyone else tried this?
Is it only one bulb that isn't working? If all the other headlights work, then it isn't likely any of the switching and power sources are at fault. It's more likely localized to the bulb, the socket, or the wiring to them.

How are you measuring for voltage at the socket? Between the two socket terminals, or from each socket terminal separately to ground? And, when measuring, the ignition must be at On, and the headlight switch set to the 3rd (full headlight) position.

Also, if it's only one bulb, then the voltages at the other identical bulb (high beam or low beam) can be used as a measurement reference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts