Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got the 2000 OBW the headlights were nearly opaque, so I gave them a good restoration. Now about a year later they are getting funky again, so I worked on them again. See pics.

1. Cleaned with Windex - any cleaner will do
2. Rubbed Blue Magic Headlight Restorer on with paper towel
3. Buffed with buffer
4. Cleaned with mineral spirits
5. Got some paint like crap (It must have come off of a truck I was following) off the lens with magic eraser
6. Blue and buff 2 more times
7. Clean with Windex

The sun came out for the after pic, so it is even more dramatic. The blue streaks are actually the reflection of my blue jeans. lol Can anyone can suggest a good sealer so I don't make this an annual event?

Before.png After.png Tools.png

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I found 3M headlight restoration kit to be better than Meguiars - there are many products out there that will do the job. It worked on my 2005 Saab and 2005 Forester. But I think it's a matter of personal preference - it's a hit and miss issue....

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mothers

I found Mothers Power Plastic 4 Lights, Headlight Lens Restorer (barcode 078175088086) works as easy as waxing the car! I did one application, hand-buffed and there were still some brownish marks on the upper portion, so the next day I did one more application, basically just waxing the lenses with this stuff, then buffing off when dry (hand-buffing with soft cloth).

I cannot get over how the lenses look like new! Also, when driving at night, the headlights are bright again! There's enough in this small 8 oz. bottle to last a lifetime!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I believe 'painting' a clear-coat of anything over the clear acrylic is asking for more trouble than we already have!

First, anything you paint-on will need to be compatible with the clear surface that is being painted - then there is the chipping that will occur when a small pebble bounces up and hits that clear 'paint'. How does one then deal with chipped painted surfaces on the clear headlamp covers?

Then, if the thing starts darkening again, you will need to remove all the paint you applied before you can even consider polishing the acrylic! At that point, you may just find that you have ruined your OEM clear headlamp covers and I'm sure they aren't cheap!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions so far. If I get a chance this weekend I'll go to Autozone and see what products they offer specifically for sealing plastic headlight lenses and report back.

Considered so far: Blue Magic, Maquires, 3M, and Mothers. Leaving clear paint off the list. Perhaps NWSub meant another product, since "clear paint" seems like an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp" or "conservative hippie." Maybe some paint on sealer?

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
I'd consider using something like NuFinish or Klasse' . I think they are polymer 'waxes' (not really wax - but you get the idea) that last a long time. But I can't see that they could protect well from sand or pebbles.

might be best to just leave it an plan on refinishing occasionally.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a sealer that prevents yellowing? BTW, what causes yellowing? Too much sunlight, oxidation, my dog marking the car as his territory?

·
Registered
514 Posts
The Ultraviolet rays from the sun apparently break down the exposed material in time.

I'm sure acid rain and other minute amounts of chemicals that may be in the atmosphere probably add to the problem.

Notice how it seems to start on the top portion, which happens to be that portion more perpendicular to the sky.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Is there a sealer that prevents yellowing? BTW, what causes yellowing? Too much sunlight, oxidation, my dog marking the car as his territory?
You are quite the character.

As for a "wax", Maquires and Mothers both have been used on my cars for years. If its just dusty, I grab an air hose, blow it off, and looks like I just washed it. They both also make easy chore of brake dust removal from the wheels.

Worked really good when I lived in NM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing